Driving in Florida

Well done on posting this. This will shock a lot of people on arrival- one of whom could have been me as I'll be over there soonish . Cheers.

Well done on posting this. This will shock a lot of people on arrival- one of whom could have been me as I'll be over there soonish . Cheers.

Glad to be of help.
My understanding is that there's widespread confusion about this because the change in the law was brought in with no publicity.
But it only takes one Florida Highway Patrol goon to have a bad day and a trip could be ruined.
Annoyingly, you can't apply for an IDP more than three months in advance of travel and it only lasts for a year so any thoughts of last minute travel requires some hassle.
How's the house going out there ?

I checked with a few carhire companies and not one mentions this.
I wonder what happens when customers arrive at the car-hire desks?

(Re house .No luck at my rather optimistic price.I was going to hold off in hope prices continue to rise but on my subdivision-Windsor Hills-several owners have recently put their homes on the market.Like me, they were waiting for the drought to end,but too many at the same time isn't going to help !.
My biggest moan is the 6% realtors commission split between selling agent and buying agent. It's dificult to sell direct form a distance but i may try. 6% on 370k is just too much commission)

Don't panic Captain Mainwaring !

It seems within the last 24 hours due to a large number of adverse newspaper stories there has been a change of heart.

During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.
It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.
Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit.

[broken link removed]

I love the fact that they change the law without even considering whether it's breaking the law !

Any further updates on this as we are going next month to Florida and would save €30 which could go towards fuel for the rented car or a nice meal on the road while touring.