Driving from Dublin to Tuam

STEINER

Hi,

I am driving to Tuam soon from Lucan in Dublin. AA routeplanner suggests using motorway most of the way down to just outside Galway city, then head right for Tuam on N17, total 213km.

If I leave motorway at Athlone and head for Tuam via Mountbellew using secondary roads, the journey is 184km.

Anybody recommend either route from experience? Is the motorway the handiest route?

Definitely the easiest drive is to Athlone and then take a right onto the N17. Spa hotel to the junction for Tuam road will take you about 1hr - maybe another 10mins - then its about 35/40mins to Tuam from there. Bad road though across "the bog road". If you're not used to them, you may take a bit longer.

thanks for reply. I don't understand the bit about Athlone and the N17.

Follow the motorway to Athlone. Cross the Shannon. About 2 miles later there is an off ramp for Tuam.
Tell me you understand that???

As above, the Mountbellew route is how I always go. Just bang Dublin, Tuam, via Mountbellew into AA route planner and follow the route.

I'd usually use the Mountbellew route too, but the road from Athlone to Tuam is got great.

The motorway would be a better road but is a bit longer, plus you will have to go through an extra toll near Athenry.

Follow the motorway to Athlone. Cross the Shannon. About 2 miles later there is an off ramp for Tuam.

Thanks again. That is good clarification, much better than the vague directions of drive to Athlone, take a right onto the N17. The AA route planner map shows the N17 over 60km from Athlone.