Driving from Chicago to Detroit, good idea?

collis

Need to be in Detroit on a Monday morning in early June, finding it difficult to get there by a direct flight from Ireland .
So... figured I'll fly to Chicago on Saturday, see a bit of the windy city and drive to Detroit Sunday afternoon.

Anyone done this - is it as easy as I think/hope it is and how long will it take in reality ?

Thanks,
C

No direct flights from Ireland to Detroit ... Northwest fly from London though so that might be an option for you.

Otherwise yes it's certainly do-able at a bit under 300 miles all on highways .. not the most exciting of drives but certainly do-able

Look into flying from Chicago to Detroit as well .. might prove cheaper ... Southwest fly from Chicago Midway, which is smaller and closer to town than O'Hare Airport ... starting from about $50 one way all in ...

Hi

I travelled on the Amtrak from Chicago to Detroit last year. Brilliant service, excellent trains. I highly recommend it.

I travelled to Detroit from Chicago by car a couple of years back; highway the whole way. Just hit the cruise control and sit back and enjoy the ride. No scenary though; just totally flat land the whole way. Takes about 4-5 hours. Also you gain an hour as you move from Central to Eastern Time

Back