Drivers License for returning emmigrants.

beffers

What is the drivers license situation for those returning to Ireland, when they have lived in the US for years, and only have a US drivers license? When on holiday in Ireland I was able to rent a car with my US license no problem, but to buy one I presume that I would have to have an Irish one, right?

I have never had an Irish drivers license. Can I automatically get one if I have a valid license from another country, or do I have to get a provisional license, take lessons and pass a driving test etc etc before I can get one? Thanks for any advice.

As long as it's less than 10 years since their last Irish license expired they will be able to get a new one.

OP stated that they never had an Irish license; but correct if they are asking on behalf of someone else.

No, have never had an Irish DL, was asking for myself & a cousin who is in the same situation.

Thanks for that link Windup, very helpful. According to the site I can drive on my current US license or on an international one for up to a year. Then I have to get an Irish one.

Holders of driving licences from other countries

As I am only going to be living there for a year or so, that works out perfectly. I presume that during that year, I can not buy a car with a US or international license, or can I? Thanks again.

I presume that during that year, I can not buy a car with a US or international license, or can I? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

No problem buying a car, but you may encounter some problems insuring it on a non EU licence.