Drivers facing congestion charge within three years

venice

How do people think the congestion charge will work here whenever it comes in. I presume traffic crossing the canals will be charged but what about people who live within the canals that have to go outside to leave children to school or go to the supermarket etc. Will they pay full charge, a reduced charge or be exempt altogether? How does it work in London?

Its a long way off yet, you can't cut the buses and then introduse congestion charging.

There is a lot of work to be done first, all the Luas lines need to be complete for a start and thats at least 2013 and beyond.

Thanks Crugers, that answers my queries.

I dont think its that far away, the government need the money and won't care about a proper transport system in place first. The way Dublin is designed it would not take that much to implement. Cross either canal and you pay...

...The way Dublin is designed it would not take that much to implement. Cross either canal and you pay...

Yes, but what about Dublin Bay?
Say you live in Ringsend, Sandymount, Marino, Clontarf etc. what happens if you need to get to the otherside of town?
The eastlink bridge would have to be exempt, but would then get alot more traffic.

You need a very good alternative before you can introduce congestion charges. If public transort is not integrated and reliable then it's just another sick way of the government to extort money from people.

Cant see it being introduced myself or if it is it would be a fiasco overall. London also has an underground. With bus services reduced here and no efficient alternatives our choices would be even more limited!

the government need the money and won't care about a proper transport system in place first....

They would have to spend an awful lot too first to set it up, do they have that?