Drive from Munich to Garda?

bonza1

Anyone done this? Have good flights to munich airport, have checked routefinder, and timewise its a do-able drive. But is it geographically? As in, is it over mountain passes and goat paths? Would my heart be hnging over the edge of a cliff? Dont want to have a heartattace on my journey with 3 kids in the back. On the other hand, could it be a great experience to see/do something different we may otherwise miss? Any tips? Anyone any idea bout this?

I used to live in Munich and have driven all over Germany, Austria and parts of Italy. Go for it. The roads are excellent (at least they were 15 years ago!) and I always enjoyed the sights. Have fun. I wish I was back there.
This link is the brenner pass, the border crossing between Austria and Italy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5marZArSXTU

Some bits of that motorway are pretty spectacular, if I remember. Good road.

It's a main motorway route out of southern Germany into Italy and you may find it very busy at holiday time. The Brenner Pass, in particular, is notorious for jams in summer - being stuck behind Dutch caravans for miles is not fun (believe me :mad:).

You will need to pay for a "vignette" - a windscreen sticker - at the Austrian border (or some German petrol stations) in order to travel on Austrian motorways. The cheapest is €7.70 for 10 days, next up is €22.20 for 2 months, so buy 2 10-day vignettes if your journeys are about two weeks apart. Don't risk driving on an Austrian motorway without one - there are frequent checks and no excuses are accepted for not having one.

Many car hire companies do not allow you take a car into Italy (Austria is ok). This especially applies to German makes of car. You should check in advance with the car hire companies before you book.

Back