Drilling a Granite Worktop

nonsequitir

Hi, I've searched the forum for information on drilling a granite worktop, but to no avail.

I've recently installed an Insinkerator waste disposal, but have a 4-year old kitchen with a granite worktop. I'd like to put the switch for the disposal unit on the surface of the worktop but this requires a 33mm hole to be drilled. I know this requires a diamond core drill but these are "very" expensive here.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a company/contractor or any other alternative that could help me?

is this a switch to control the electrical power feed into the disposal unit ? if so - I'm not sure it'll be a good idea (never mind conform to reci standard) to have an electrical switch on an area which will be prone to alot of water.

that aside - don't drill your granite to put a switch in !! - can you not use and existing duct to feed the cable up to and wall mount it or else feed into the cavity under the counter top and fish it up into a new wall mount ?

is this a switch to control the electrical power feed into the disposal unit ? if so - I'm not sure it'll be a good idea (never mind conform to reci standard) to have an electrical switch on an area which will be prone to alot of water.

Switch is air activated so there is no power at the switch on counter.
What kind of kitchen sink have you? one with a drain board? If it is a standard sink they may be a blank on one side directly arcoss from the taps, this is so the sink could be used as a right or left drainingg board depending on what side the taps were placed. Anyhow if there is a blank whip it off and the switch should fit perfectly.

i would say its undermounted sink if granite was used so there would be no blanks. There is a possibility that you could crack the granite depending on what type (ie chinese, which is considered poor)/grade and thickness.

Would you not think of mounting it on the cabinet door as an alternative, not the best but better than a cracked worktop or else could you bing it up by the backsplash or drill the blacksplash?

No matter what tradesperson you get in they won't take responsibility if it cracks

Last edited:
Yes, it's an undermounted Franke sink, no blanks - I've plumbed the disposal under the mini-sink section (it probably has another name). The disposal switch is air activated, no electrics (InSinkerator 65). It's a good quality granite and is 28mm thick (at least that's what the seller told me!)

I'll probably end up putting it on the door as suggested. Unfortunately I can't use the backsplash as we've had this area and the window-sills matched with the same granite. Drilling the backsplash might be less risky though, as it's a much smaller piece of granite and could be replaced a lot more cheaply than the whole worktop. Hmm, food for thought there!

Thanks all!

Back