Dress code for wedding

I think the bride and groom are entitled to dictate whatever they like for their own wedding, that they are paying for, and if anyone doesnt like it, well then dont go!!

I think the bride and groom are entitled to dictate whatever they like for their own wedding, that they are paying for, and if anyone doesnt like it, well then dont go!!

It does put people in an awkward position, though. Presumably she has also invited aunts and old family friends who will feel they're being rude to her parents if they don't attend. This came up on another thread and a lot of people pointed out that it's not always that easy to refuse a wedding invitation without hurting feelings or causing family arguments.

The bride and groom get well paid too

But do they? I think its a myth myself. I held a party to celebrate my wedding (actual deed was done abroad with just myself and himself), and we had 100 odd guests - the money we received as gifts didnt even cover one third of the cost of the party (venue, food, dj etc...).

Not that we minded, we werent factoring gifts received against costs - but the point is - weddings cost the bride and groom, and more than likely cost a lot more than they could ever hope to receive back as gifts.

I agree with this - and it's not as if it is a very restrictive dress code. Black is very commonly worn to weddings.

I dont disagree but if you want to impose dress codes, colour codes etc... then the risk you take is that people wont go OR that they go and ignore the dress code OR that they grudgingly go and are moany about it on the day.

Ultimately its the bride and grooms big day, they are paying for it, let them do what they like.

(Personally I do think a colour code is a bit silly - but in principle I think couples should be entitled to do what they want if theyre paying).

I do think it's a load of auld cack but I think a lot of the wedding stuff is a load of auld cack.

But I agree it's not too restrictive. She could borrow a black dress off someone if she doesn't have it herself. Into a material shop for a red cape thing that loads of women wear to weddings and buy a cheap red clutch/white pearls in pennys or H&M or just wear all black and red lipstick.

sounds like a serious case of a bridezilla!
btw, they have very nice black jeans leggins and black and white checkered blouses in penny's - will set her back some 24 euro - also, why doesn't she have a look in charity shops such as oxfam or enable ireland, if she wants to attend? they tend to have a rather nice selection of dresses

i'd definately go with the idea of reducing the cost of the present and buying something nice to wear. sure its their day and they can impose these silly dress codes but its your money and you can chose what you spend it on.

My sister has been invited to a wedding and the invitation stipulates that there is a red, black and white theme so guests must wear one or a combination of these colours.

No end of possibilities there. She could just wrap herself in the Irish Times (black, white and read all over)? Or procure a freshly removed zebra skin? Or a nun's habit with scarlet lipstick?

+1 although yeah I think it's a load of pretentious rubbish, she can get around it somehow and enjoy the day. Even if it's just to have said ' I was once at a wedding where we all had to wear black white or red'

No end of possibilities there. She could just wrap herself in the Irish Times (black, white and read all over)? Or procure a freshly removed zebra skin? Or a nun's habit with scarlet lipstick?

Ah the old ones are always teh best...

(Personally I do think a colour code is a bit silly - but in principle I think couples should be entitled to do what they want if theyre paying).

Most of the money spent on an average wedding is spend by the guests, presents accommodation, new clothes etc.

I simply would not go.

The couple getting married - sorry the bride-to-be - wants her wedding to stand out from the rest. One of these ways is to think up some caper e.g. colour dress code.

If you wanna go then you have to fall in. The bride wants the day of her life to be the day of her life.

We may not agree with her, but it is her big day.

Sis is seriously hacked off as she's pretty broke . .
Now she has a good excuse not to go (and if broke then no present either). Sounds like a load of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language to me but each to their own. I wouldn't go.

Is the food going to be themed red, white and black also? I'm thinking lots of ketchup and burnt offerings!

Black is very commonly worn to weddings
Only in recent years - time was when neither black nor white were considered 'proper' at weddings since black was for funerals and only the bride wore white.