Dress code for wedding

liaconn

My sister has been invited to a wedding and the invitation stipulates that there is a red, black and white theme so guests must wear one or a combination of these colours. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? Sis is seriously hacked off as she's pretty broke, has nothing suitable in these colours and will now have to go out and buy a brand new outfit even though she has a couple of hardly worn wedding outfits in her wardrobe that she had intended to wear.

Does she have to go?

If anyone I knew came out with that nonsense I'd politely refuse.

Red, white and black - I would suggest she borrow a Manchester United kit, otherwise go with one of her existing outfits.

Never heard of that.
Have been invited to a black-tie wedding before. I do not own a tuxedo, but they gave a voucher for Blacktie so it at least helped a bit.

The bride is a designer and is planning a white cake with red design, black and white table settings with touches of red etc etc. I know it will probably look spectacular, but at expense and inconvenience to the guests.

Rubbish is right. How controlling a person would you have to be to try and specify what colours the guests wear?
If it were me I would either a) pass on the wedding or b) wear something ridiculous.

I wanted to wear a fedora and carry a cane to an August black tie wedding of a wife's friend. I have no issue with black tie in Winter or for evening wear but not at 1pm on a nice summer's day.
The wife talked me out of it (translation: nagged). I turned up at the church and the bride's family were in normal suits. Some didn't even wear a tie. And they were in the pictures!!! Even the groom was not in black tie or tux. He wore normal wedding rental suit.
I was so sorry I didn't bring the cane and fedora then!!!

The bride is a designer and is planning a white cake with red design, black and white table settings with touches of red etc etc. I know it will probably look spectacular, but at expense and inconvenience to the guests.

It will be hard to make out the guests from the furniture! Sounds like they will be well camouflaged.

Tell her to get a cheap all-in-one pvc red cat suit and smile for every picture being taken.

I thought the feckin stupidity of the celtic tiger days was gone!

I seriously wouldn't go if it was me, but if your sister really wants to go, then see if she could perhaps borrow a black dress?? maybe buy a cheap old red handbag or something? - You can get something fairly plain and cheap in black and do it up with a red ribbon or something??

As for bride and groom, I would suggest that your sister find the tackiest, ugliest cheapest vase she can find in black and white, stick a red bow on it and spend the money that she would have given them on an outfit for herself!

I think it's an interesting idea - if I was getting married I wouldn't dream of it though. There's bound to be a few awkward relatives who refuse to get into the spirit of it.
Surely she can borrow something? I think with black that there is leeway to wear something less dressy than normal wedding attire. I imagine most women have at least one black dress lurking in their wardrobe.

There's bound to be a few awkward relatives who refuse to get into the spirit of it.

Colour me awkward so! -wedding bride and groom can do whatever they like and wear whatever they want to but to expect guests to do the same shows really poor judgment and indeed taste! I think fancy dress and dress codes at weddings are just tacky & usually revolve around a bride who will do whatever she can to make her wedding stand out from that of her friends! Sad in my opinion but that's just me!

Why is it the relatives who are being 'awkward'? Surely it's the bride who's being awkward, not allowing her guests to wear what they choose to the wedding?
I've advised my sister not to bother going. Apart from the dress code the wedding is, surprise surprise, being held in Galway even though the bride is from Dublin, the groom is from Kildare and they both live and work in Dublin.

This is just totally selfish and inconsiderate of the bride and groom. I can understand specifying 'formalwear' so that everyone is nicely spruced up but specifying a colour is not fair. I'd agree with the poster who suggested that you reduce what you were going to spend on a present and spend it on an outfit instead or if the couple are not close friends i'd pass on the invitation. I love the idea of wearing a man utd kit though!

Why is it the relatives who are being 'awkward'? Surely it's the bride who's being awkward, not allowing her guests to wear what they choose to the wedding?

Totally agree. People can end up spending a lot of money travelling to weddings, they may have to take time of work, plus there's a present to buy also. It's selfish to then expect guests to incur even more expense by having them arrive in a constrained dress code. In the spirit of their designer wedding I trust the food will be of equally high standard with not a beef or salmon dish in sight?

Do you think your sister would be turned away if she just showed up in whatever she was planning to wear originally?

Agree with the other posters, such a lot rubbish to dictate colour.