drawings for house extension

E

elak3r

I'm hoping to build a extension to my three bed end of terrace house, approximate size 20ft X 6ft. An architect quoted two grand to provide drawings and planning permission services however he said if i could get an architect to carry out the work as a nixer it would only cost around 800. I live in Waterford City but unfortunately dont know anybody that can carry out the work for me, Any help would be much appreciated

is the house extension to the rear of the property? if it is, you may not require planning as the extension is under 40sqm. (you'd still have to check the remaining space left in your garden, etc.)

2k sounds a bit high for a small extension and planning permission but it would be too far off the mark.

In the process of getting plan done for an extension cost is €1k incl planning application.

Sounds like the architect in question might have been angling for the "nixer" himself? Did you ask him to recommend anyone?

Extension is to the side of the house so planning is required. I asked the architect if he could recommend anyone and he wasnt particularly interested in name sharing! Think the project may have been too small for him to take on. Just have to keep looking

Getting a sunroom (no planning ) to the back and a bedroom at the side of my bungalow (planning required).
Getting a draughtsman to do the drawings etc and he is looking for ca. 600 for the lot. You dont need an architect if the work is basic enough, as most extensions are.

you'll need a certificate on compliance from an architect or engineer if you plan on selling the house at some stage in the future. a draftsman will not be able to provide this

When we sold our house 5 years ago we were asked by purchasers solicitor for a complliance cert re small extension to the rear. As this was within PP exclusion size we had not employed an architect. No architect I contacted was prepared to sign a cert. for work that they had not supervised even a close friend who is an architect. In the end we got a draughtsman to sign the cert and this was accepted no problem by the solicitors.

I have no experience what so ever so thanks for all the helpful replies = just to double check. Can I get a draughtsman to prepare drawings, submission to the council and sign off on the extension?

a draftsman can not legally sign off on drawings for compliance. an architect, chartered engineer or chartered surveyor with professional indemnity insurance are the only people that can do this.

if you get a draftsman to sign off on it you may succeed in giving the solicitors what they want but they won't hesitate to go back to you if something goes wrong and your certificate won't be worth the paper it's written on.

there is a reason that we pay thousands to get PII - you're wasting your time with a draftsman. if you want a piece of paper, get a draftsman...if you want something you can fall back on, get a professional with insurance.

Thats what I call a jackboot style post. You shouldnt really be trying to state as fact something that is nothing more than an opinion.

A draughtsman or technician is fine so long as they hold PI cover. That will overcome any legal issues.

From a practical point of view someone with PI cover may not necessarily be the best person for the job. Just make sure you retain someone with a lot of experience, comes reccommnded and of course has PI cover