Drawing Plans for an extension

Cameo

I am planning an extension to a three bed semi-detached. Converting garage and building over it - basically adding on half a house - I want to do the plans myself, partly to save myself money and also to get the experience of doing up the plans. (I also fancy my drawing abilities )

THe main purpose of the plans initially is to give something to builders so I can get some guideline quotes for the work. I would probably also apply to local council with plans ASAP.

Does anyone know of a reasonably accessible software package that would be useful for drawing up plans. E.g. some add-on or existing functionality within excel or Visio or something similar?

Also, I have assumed that I could apply to relevant planning authority without the need for an architect or draughtsman. Can anyone confirm this is the case?

Any help much appreciated.

Also, I have assumed that I could apply to relevant planning authority without the need for an architect or draughtsman. Can anyone confirm this is the case?
Indeed you can but I wouldn't recommend it. There are certain do's and donts in relation to a planning application and you may also be required at some later date to obtain a cert. compliance which will include reference to the plans being prepared in conformity with the building regulations.

You aren't doing yourself any favours by attempting this yourself

Yes agree fully with previous poster. Big issue would be in getting a cert of compliance. Without this you would have big problems in ever selling the property.

You are not getting much encouragement from 2 previous posters.

I did exactly what you intend to do and did not encounter any issue. Both permissions granted first time around.
Regarding certificate, there is no problem either, assuming building regulations are followed and building matches the plans .
You will have to get a surveyor, ball park estimate €500/€750. But this is something you can worry about when you decide to sell.

Regarding software package, i used CorelDRAW. Friend of mine did his drawings with Visio. But i guess it is down to preferences, experiences & easy availability to software.

Good luck

You You will have to get a surveyor, ball park estimate €500/€750. But this is something you can worry about when you decide to sell.
Original reply was based on experience. Did exactly what you are intending and then found it impossible to find an architect or surveyor to give a compliance cert upon sale. Even good friend who is an architect was extremely reluctant to provide one and eventually agreed after we had no other option.

I also did a similar extension to what you are planning a few years back, only we had the garage already converted. We just built over the room & utility room and put 2 extra bedrooms on top with access from the landing.
My brother in law was a trainee architect at the time and he did the drawings for me, which had no problems getting approval. I even put my name down as the drawer.
I saw other drawings from a neighbour that got similar extension and his looked liked a childs sketch compared to mine and he also got planning. Mine were all done on Autocad but it looks like his were done by hand.
I'm not worried about the cert as I don't intend on selling but I can get one easy enough now that he is fully qualified