Draughts

!RAY

I am getting Draughts in from windows, Doors and god only knows were else. Has anybody else had this problem, if so how did you get on .Any tips?
Cheers
!Ray

Thanks
Dont think i am will to go to that expense at the mo.
Cheers
RAY

Hi Ray,
I hope you didn't think I was being smart - but trust me our house was FREEZING with all the draughts - so this year we replaced the windows and all the radiators - and believe me we do not know how we survived - the difference is astonishing...

It happened to me in my former house, actually it was my daughter's room,I know this my sound silly what i did was to use old clothes to pad the window AND IT DID THE MAGIC.

You can buy rubber foam seals from DIY stores that you put around the windows which will seal the windows when closed to stop draughts. These made a difference when my parents had wooden window frames

Yeah - if you just want to patch up the existing job rather than doing a proper renovation then look at those stick on rubber seals for windows and/or doors, screw on brass/metal and rubber door draught excluders, letterbox draught excluder etc.. Check if the chimney and/or wall vents are causing draughts too and address these if necessary (not simply sealing them up though!). Search for existing threads on chimney balloons etc.

I'll second that!! We had draughts blowing through the house for ages before i tracked down the cause and it was the chimney. Since we blocked it, the difference has been astounding!!

I'll second that!! We had draughts blowing through the house for ages before i tracked down the cause and it was the chimney. Since we blocked it, the difference has been astounding!!

Just make sure you have some ventilation left in the chimney or you may face problems down the line.
Leo

We used to have a gale blowing into the living room under the door in the livingroom. No real problem in the summer, but in the winter it was very noticable. When I checked there was a gap of about 1/8 of an inch between the bottom of the door and the saddle.

I unscrewed the hinges and took the door down. I tacked a strip of wood to the underneath of the door. The strip was narrower than the door so it wouldn't show. I then put the door back up.

Problem solved.

Murt

Leo, what sort of problems?
allendog
Damp in the chimney and on the inside walls around it is one (the main?) possibility. Some level of ventilation should be maintained when you block draughty chimneys.

Damp in the chimney and on the inside walls around it is one (the main?) possibility. Some level of ventilation should be maintained when you block draughty chimneys.

Yep, without proper ventilation, condensation can form which will eventually destroy the mortar/brickwork.
Leo

If its a new enough house check to see if the double glazing etc is stamped by the company and the time they were put in, they might still be under guarantee (typically 5 years)

Seals may just need to be replaced....Remember draughts leads to damp

I have draughts coming under the window boards. There is DG throughout the house, but still I can feel breeze both under the windown boards and between window frames and window boards. any advice??

Mastic gun and sealant - any DIY shop will have them. Should do the trick.

What do you mean by "windows boards"? Window sills or something else? If you are getting draughts through the window frames they presumably they are not fitted properly? Surely having non sealed frames partially defeats the purpose of having double glazing in the first place?

If its a new enough house check to see if the double glazing etc is stamped by the company and the time they were put in, they might still be under guarantee (typically 5 years)

Seals may just need to be replaced....Remember draughts leads to damp

Does that include front doors (PVC)?

Clubman: I understand that cills are the concrete piece outside the frame and the window boards are the timber bits inside the house.

Ross: Do I use the mastic inside the house or outside?

Steve 2006: I have timber doors. I refused PVC door on grouds that they cause or allow condensation to form on the inside.