Draught under window

Jildy

Hi,

The in-laws have single glaze windows and the house can get very cold due to the fact that it is an older house etc... One of the bedrooms in particular is very cold and impossible to heat (rad under window). You can feel a strong draught inside under the window sill if you put your hand near it.

I am going to use silicone to seal under the window to keep the draught out.

Is this ok to do?
Will it have any negative implications?
Is there something better that I could do? (Has to be quick and easy).

J

I think you are ok to do this. Use decorator's filler so that you can paint easily over it.

Just an aside... Why is the gap there in the first place? Bad installation? or does it have a purpose??

J

Is this a shrinkage gap, perhaps? Underneath the window board? If so caulk with acrylic sealant (like painter's mate). In the future all new houses will have to have all possible sources of air leakage sealed!

Have you checked for insulation in the attic? I checked the house i live in. There was insulation in the attic. Standing against the gable wall still in its wrapper. There was not enough insulation to cover the entire attic. The rooms that have no insulation are unbelieveably cold when compared to insulated rooms.