Draining & Restarting a Central Heating System

OhPinchy

I have to do a bit of plumbing work tomorrow as plumber has let me down (a recurring theme) and it has to be done to allow other work move on.

One job is moving a vertical towel radiator, the other is connecting up some pipes I laid for the extension to the existing heating system.

I’m comfortable with all the mechanics of my compression fittings etc, but I’m not sure how to A) drain the heating system and B) get the system running again afterwards (i.e. balance it).

I’ll do it with the heating pump turned off, but do I then just fire ahead and disconnect the towel rad and have a bucket in hand to drain it?

The second job is downstairs and involves connecting the pipes I ran in for the extension (all ½ inch qualpex barrier pipe) to the two rads in the extension (not yet fitted – pipes are blanked). I’ll be fitting isolation valves on these feeds but want to connect them now to test for leaks. Can I expect more water to pour out when I remove the blanks from the existing ¾ inch copper pipes that have been left in the ground as feeds for the extension?

When I’m finished to I just connect all the pipes and turn the heating back on and hope for the best? Or do I need to balance the system (how?) and then again when I add the rads in the extension later?

I have some good general DIY books but it’d be great to get a more thorough plumbing book that covers the above and full details of the different types of heating systems. Any suggestions?

Is there anything useful in this previous post from Carpenter on draining the system.

I always feel tired just reading about the amount of work that you intend doing. :) You definitely seem to be a candidate for taking Carpenter's advice on buying Collins "Guide to plumbing and central heating".

Best of luck with the present job.

Back