Draining oiltank before moving it?

3dolls

We've decided to relocate the oiltank as part of some landscaping work. Mr 3Dolls intends to do the work himself, and from searching other posts here , it seems straightforward. His only concern is about draining the tank. I noticed another poster said that the oil-supplier drained and refilled the tank - is this something most/all suppliers will do? We are based in Cork.

wait till it runs out and then 1 person could drag it to its new location.

that might not be possible depending on how much is in the tank and when you plan to do the landscaping.

3dolls, any idea how much oil is actually in the tank? A good idea is to drain it into a wheelie bin...they are about 80litres each

Thanks for the responses.
tosullivan, it's quite low, so it might be easier to just let it run out. The tank will be moving about 12-15ft back from its current position. The new spot is almost ready, and since Mr 3Dolls is doing all the landscaping work himself, we can set our own timetable.

If it's plastic, any attempt to move it unless empty will almost certainly damage it - this may not be evident immediately, but will show later.

wait till it runs out and then 1 person could drag it to its new location.

I would always be totally opposed to letting the oil run out as this merely raises further problems such as dragging up the dirt from the bottom of the tank and air getting into the system. It never ceases to amaze me how many people allow this to happen regularly and the hassle that this causes.

A friend of mine mentions about this happening regularly in her house and finds it quite amusing :confused:

Had to do this recently - out local oil supplier drainded the tank for us. We moved it and he put the oil back in - bough some oil in return for the help.

Back