Downtown Orlando vs. elsewhere in Orlando?

Protocol

Honeymoon, early April 2008, flying into Orlando MCO.

We want a good 4* or 5* star hotel, preferably with swimming pool, jacuzzi, etc.

I get the feeling that Orlando is pure sprawl, so I am debating between the downtown or maybe International Drive?

Some years since we stayed on International Drive but I have to say it's a great location. It's not all about Disney there are lots of other attractions, good discount shopping, restaurants etc......but is anything 5* over there I wonder?

Best bet for researching hotels is

I'm curious: why Orlando? if it's for the theme parks, they're mostly (all?) located to the south of Olando. We're just back from there (stayed at Hilton at Walt Disney World, which was very good by the way), and didn't go near downtown Orlando once. In other words, for convenience you're probably better off somewhere other than downtown.

I believe there are a couple of 5* places, but as I say, tripadvisor is your best bet, as it has loads of reviews from people who've stayed in each place.

Some suggestions:

If you really want to push the boat out you cant do better than the Peabody on International Drive - great hotel and location, with all the facilities (including the ducks).

In the Universal area you could stay at the Hard Rock Hotel which lives up to its name or the contemporary Crowne Plaza. The advantage of staying in either of these is that you get the Express Pass Card which enables you to jump the queues.

At Disney you could take a look at the Floridian, which is lovely, or the Wilderness Lodge which is an enormous log cabin style hotel.

One thing you can be sure of in Orlando is that you are spoiled for choice.

Back