Downsizing Ltd Company to work from home

• Thread starter DublintoMayo
  • Start date
D

DublintoMayo

Hi - looking for a bit of advice here if anyone can help. I have been running an online business for a number of years, registered as a LTD co. Due to the recession I now no longer have any staff or no need to rent office space.

I am looking at getting through the next 18months (hopefully we will see an improvement after then) to relocate to the West moving the business to work from home.

I plan to rent out my house in Dublin and rent a property in Mayo.
What tax advantages or implications would there be in running the business from a rented house in Mayo.

Can I allocate the full rental cost of the Mayo rental against the business.

Looking forward to going into the West

I cant see how the full cost of the rental can be off set against tax, and the landlord may not want a commercial enterprise running from his house, also if you close your dublin office you will still need a registered office, again cant see that being allowed in a rented house.

I cant think of any tax advantages for you, only cost savings, good luck with it

Hope you can get a good broadband connection

yup - broadband seems to be an issue alright but it's not too far from a town centre and there is broadband coverage.

Re the registered business address, I plan to rent a virutal office in Dublin to retain registered co ltd address so that will solve that issue. Landlord is aware an online business will be run from rented property and is ok with it as no callers to business

Is there any kind of proportion guidelines as to how much of rental costs can be paid by business for eworking.

I know there are guidelines for light/heating etc that you estimate the % of time spent working against % time living but nothing is mentioned re living/rental costs.

Rent can be claimed in the same proportion that the office area is in relation to the overall area of the house. If the office takes up 30% of the house then you can claim 30% of the rent against your business. You can also claim some of the remaining rent in your tax return as a tax credit. The rent received on the house in Dublin will be taxed in so far as it exceeds the rental costs (including interest). Restrictions on the amount of interest you can claim is imminent. Also remember to stop getting Tax Relief at source on your interest on the Dublin mortgage. Also need to register the Dublin rental with the PRTRB. If you are using a Dublin accountant you will more than likely get a much cheaper deal from a West of Ireland accountant. PM me if you need any further info on this.