Downpipe difficulties...

Sav H

Hi

I recently had an extension built on the back of my house. There used to be a downpipe running from the roof gutter to a drain at the back of the house. The extension was built over the drain, but the builders just cut the downpipe above the roof of the extension. Now the water runs down along the new roof instead of being channelled anywhere. I don't know enough about it to argue it with the builders, but I am afraid of leakage. Does anyone know if this is the correct way to leave a downpipe...?

Thanks,

Sav H

What is the new roof made of - tiles, slates, felt? What you describe if fairly common, I'm not sure I'd be happy with it but if there is enough of an overlap in the tiles or slates then there shouldn't be a problem, not sure about a felt roof I'm always afraid of too much water on them.

He could equally have piped the downpipe along the roof to join the downpipe of the extension.

Strictly speaking no; but it depends on the rood covering, it's more of a problem if the roof covering is slate, less so if concrete roof tiles. Slates and tiles are not designed to cope with concentrated flows of water (as you might expect from from a downpipe in a downpour), the result can be water ingress in heavy rain as water is drawn up the roof covering by capillary action. If the area of the existing roof being drained is small then it may be sufficient to provide a lead "soaker" at the bottom of the downpipe to disperse the water flow over. The solution adopted by your builder is fine for small roof areas, such as porches, canopies and the like.

The roof is tiled. The roofers have come back twice already because of leakage (not sure if this is sorted as we haven't had much rain lately), but neighbour came in today to ask if builders were coming back to "finish" downpipe. My extension sides onto hers and she is worried about water splashing onto her roof and leaking. Just want to have my facts straight before I ring builder...

Sav H

I do not wish to alarm you but perhaps you should confirm how the drainage below your new extension was addressed.

Back