downloading from you tube. i need help

the king

i am trying to download music from you tube. obviously i dont know much about it. i am hoping someone would tell me about the free software websites that are out their to do this. i should also have said that i then want to transfer the music to my mp3 player. i know iam looking for a lot here but would need to know in what order i would need to download the free software for this. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

the king

Well I'm happy enough with .flv, but if you want mp3, there seems to be loads of flv to mp3 software out there.

Try converting your flv files with this
http://flvto.com/

If you use the Firefox browser (available here) you can use a plug-in called DownloadHelper with it (available here). DownloadHelper, as you'd expect, helps you download various kinds of files from websites you visit - including the .flv files that you get on YouTube.

Once you've got the .flv files you can convert them to whatever format you want. I'm on a Mac so I use iSquint, which is basic but free (I'm sure there are plenty of PC equivalents), or QuickTime Pro (not free) with the Perian plug-in.

(There's a couple of articles by Stephen Fry (yes, that Stephen Fry) on the subject of Firefox and the various things you can do with it: here and here. Amongst the best things about it are the adblock extensions - enjoy the web without all the annoying ads plastered all over it.)

Naturally, nothing in this post should be taken as condoning or encouraging anything that might breach copyright. But then I'm sure you knew that...

I use a program called Freecorder from Applian (just google it). It is part of my firefox toolbar and it basically records any sound output from the internet as an mp3 file.

Once I start a Youtube video I press the record button in my toolbar. You know it working as it displays a graphic equalizer type image during recording. Once the song is finished press stop. It then gives you an option as to where you want the mp3 file saved.

Hi, I'm also new to this! When I go to play videos on utube the video does not play in full it stops and starts. I have broadband (speed is 100.00) so what is causing the stop start business??

Hi, I'm also new to this! When I go to play videos on utube the video does not play in full it stops and starts. I have broadband (speed is 100.00) so what is causing the stop start business??
Update your broadband speed to at least 2mb and this should sort it!!

Hi Pat, thats the fastest that my broadband goes. So I guess I just got to get on with it! Pants!

[broken link removed] can help you but it's shareware. Anyway, you can try it before buy.

Back