Downloading a video from Youtube

elainem

Hi! Sorry to be so ignorant and untechnical! I saw a video which would be useful for work on Youtube. How do I download this on to CD - I have a netbook and a pc? Also, is there any copyright I have to be aware of, i.e. do the same laws apply to Youtube?

Thanks.

Downloading a video from Youtube?

Thanks a lot. That's a great help! I'm quite clueless when it comes to techie stuff!

Some other options for capturing streaming video include rtmpdump which is a command line tool, not for the fainthearted due to complexity, but it can do things like capture the RTE player's encrypted rtmpe video stream. rtmpexmplorer is a front end to rtmpdump that makes it more usable.

In the non-free category are things like Replay Media Catcher, which costs 30 bucks, but I find it good for capturing BBC iPlayer streams (when used with appropriate proxy software to get around the geographical filtering).

Yes, you certainly need to be aware of copyright issues on youtube. The copyright will normally belong to the video uploader, although under youtube T's & C's they grant youtube a non-exclusive right to distribute and monetise. You wil get away with downloading for your own use (who's gonna stop you?), but for public use or re-showing you would by rights need the copyright owner's consent.

I use Torch browser for this. Its so simple, just has a "Download Video" button you click and away you go.

Back