Double oven v Single oven

Joe Nonety

I was just wondering if people who have double ovens find them very useful or is the 2nd oven hardly ever used?
I was planning just a single oven as I can't imagine needing more than 4 hob rings and 1 oven, but as it'll be integrated it'd very difficult to upgrade down the line.

Hi Joe
I have a combi oven and a conventional oven. The combi is a grill microwave and oven in one and worth every penny. It's big enough to roast a joint of meat or a chicken ... and with the combination cooking you can have a roast chilcken in about 30 minutes.

I bake every week at least so I wouldn't be without my big oven ... but if you don't bake or roast on a regular basis I wouldn't bother with a second oven.

Hope this helps ... HP

Henny Penny said:
Hi Joe
I have a combi oven and a conventional oven. The combi is a grill microwave and oven in one and worth every penny.

Never come across a 3-in-1 as per Henny Penny's post but find having a grill and top oven combined is dead handy. I think its also more energy efficient to use the top oven rather than the main one, but this probably depends on what you're cooking/baking.

Our first combi was a Sharp microwave/grill/conventional oven which we bought about 15 years ago.
Sadly, the new version which we bought less than 2 years ago and which had the facility to use fixed shelves, is now useless as the turntable won't go round. Sharp say that after 12 months there is no guarantee so all repair costs are down to us. We are now looking at a Panasonic.

We have a double oven and find it very good, especially if you like to cook and entertain. You can grill in one oven (the smaller oven usually) whilst baking in the main oven. The additional oven is also very useful for warming plates and other cooked dishes.

slightly different but we went with two single ovens rather than a double with a large and small oven. Both of our ovens have grills built in. For us we do cook/entertain alot so having two large ovens works for us.

for my tuppence, you NEED a double oven! Or at least the facility to have a grill seperate to the main oven! Bought an apt with appliances supplied as a phase 1 carrot and have a lovely 4 burner hob with a single oven....drives me mad, cant do my main course roast and a bruchetta starter (never did these in my life anyway, just an eg) But seriously, i think a grill and seperate oven is essential, and as a previous poster stated, if it was a combined grill/oven it would be even better as would be easier to heat up etc for smaller meals and a full sized oven for the turkey at xmas!

Thanks for the advice. Ye've solved my quandary now that I know that a combi oven exists, I'll go for one of those along with an ordinary single oven.

Back