double glazing using stained glass

emefox

we live in an 1930's house which originally had stained glass panels. to the top of the windows. the original windows were removed as part of the 1970's 'improvements'. we want to reinstate the windows but want to have them double glazed.

does anyone know of companies which would supply the windows with stained glass to your own specification. we had hoped to get timber / timber alu windows as opposed to pvc, some of the scandanavian suppilers we contacted don't seem to do stained glass though we do like the look of their windows. also we would like to get as best an option in terms of insulation.

does any one have any experience of this type of window.

thanks

Kind of had experience with this.

I've designed stained glass panels - some used externally.
Basically, I would design the glass, pick the colours of the glass etc, and an artisan that our company uses would make up the design in stained glass.
Then a timber window manufacturer would build a window frame around the stained glass - framed between two sheets of glass. It's also possible to use the stained glass panel as the inner leaf of the double glazing. (Though it isn't great for insulation values of course).

I suspect it would be pretty difficult for someone without sufficient contacts in such trades, who one could rely upon to be of a particular quality, to do something like this though.

There is a company called Rathmines Glass which do coloured and stained glass. The prices are reasonable. He would have his own contacts for the framework you require. Rathmines Glass number is 01 4973988

Try a company called Glass HAUS (Navan). two brothers who produce exceptional work . They will provide you with the compete package.
I myself have used them for two huge custom-made ceiling lights in my hallway. If you want I can send you a picture of there work

I have just bought a front door through Arctic Windows which were heavily recommended on Askaboutmoney.

They said they could reproduce my existing 1930's window pane. They photographed it with a mobile phone, which surprised me, but I assumed that they knew what they were doing.

They arrived with the door and I sent them packing. It wasn't remotely like what I had. It was modern bright pink where there had been a light reddish colour.

I have now decided to for a leaded window which many other houses on the road have. They will mount the lead on plane glass back and front. Behind this pane of glass, there will be another pane which is "wavy" so you can't look in.

Brendan

Graficur in Limerick make stanied glass windows.
We had two made for either side of our front door and reccomend them highly.
The pane comes encased in two panes of toughened K glass.

[broken link removed]in Dublin have a large selection of stained glass patterns. They will also make up a window to your specification. We used them about two years ago for our hall door. The house is circa 1900 and still had some original panels but the central panel was gone. It's not possible to completely match the colours these days but they came close and we were very pleased. We've also used them to make leaded glass panels (looks like crystal) for some side panels we needed replaced. Sorry, can't remember their no. but they're in the book. They're located quite close to Aungier St.