Double Glazing front door - letter box?

suzyann

Hi
We are getting double glazing to the front of the house - they will be of the style that both panes open inside - ie not the slide type.
Currently the front door we have seems to let a lot of the heat escape during winter, we also like the idea of having a little space in the porch once for runners etc ... when the double glazing doors are done - The only uncertainty I have is the letterbox - I can get this built in to the double glazing or alternatively I can get an external mail box adjusted to the exterior wall . The benefits of the external mail box would be that it would not be possible to view if mail had been collected or not - so would give an element of security -But I am just not sure how good they are - I know we get a mountain of 'free' local papers delivered on a weekly basis along with other junk. I would just be interested to know other peoples opinion who have the external mail box and how they find it - Does it get clogged with junk etc... or does it work well?

Thanks
suzyann

Suzyann

Installed an external mailbox about a month ago (for exactly the same reasons as yourself) and haven't noticed any issue with increase in junk mail etc. On the one I bought there are front vents/holes so you view if there is anything in the box..if your concerned about security then ensure you get a closed unit. It works very well.

Eoin

Last edited:
Back