double glazing film

corkfella

Hi,

i have a house with single glazing and its a bit chilly these days! I intend to put in double glazing in the summer but I have heard of a product called double glazing film which is a stop gap solution which is like film that you apply to the inside of the window and it helps heat escaping. I have tried b & q and woodies in cork bit they do not stock the product, does anyone know where I can get this product? or has anyone used and what do they think of it?

cheers

I think it might be clingfilm that you need. The effectiveness of this is debatable but I saw somewhere on a programme where it was put on the frame of the window (not directly on the pane) to create another 'pane'. I think there is a heavy duty industrial clingfilm that is wider than the domestic one. Where to get it? - sorry I don't know but if it was me I'd start looking in the builders suppliers first.

Yes, clingfilm can help. Simply stick it on to the frames, trim and give the centre a quick swish of a hairdryer. I've also seen two sheets of perspex being put into a channel (like the old undersink presses), a thin draught excluding strip fixed in between at the joint edge and a couple of finger levers stuck to each side. That way you can open them for cleaning, fresh air etc.

Will this make much of a difference? Doesn't double glazing work because there is a vacuum or some insulating gas between the panes of sealed double glazing units?

There will be a buffer. So the air trapped in between the perspex/clingfilm will not be as cold as that outside the pane. So the cold convection will not be as cold. Lots of old windows are draughty as well and these will help to counteract that.

Hi Corkfella,

I actually bought some of the double glazing film you are talking about in B&Q in Mahon last Sunday (aisle 4 if my memory serves me correctly!). I haven't put it up yet so I can't tell you if it makes any difference.

Andyman