Double Glazed windows fogged up

Novic

All of the dble glazed windows in a relatively new extension have fogged up. The guarantee has expired on the windows - has anyone any tips on how I could clear the fog. The windows look constantly dirty as a result.

This is normally from the seal between the glass being broken. If your windows were put in using putty its possible that the linseed in the putty has eroded the seal. It might be best to get new d/glazed units, then get a competent carpenter to install them using the proper fixing compound.

If it was my extension I`d be on to the builder till I got satisfaction, I`d have thought that d/glazed units would be good for years.

Most double glazed units have a 10 year guarantee now, but that only came into being about in about 2000. Some units have a date stamped on the spacer bar showing the date that they were manufactured and the company that manufactured them.

The only answer is to replace the double glazed units.

Same thing happened my mother's windows. She bought hers from Costellos.
The frames and structure is guaranteed for 10 years but the glazing units are only guaranteed for 5 years.

She has hers 7 years so is a bit peeved by this, and has been told that the only option is to replace the double glazed units.

Had double glazed windows fitted 9 years ago and one has just started misting up in the middle. The glass is under guarantee for 10 years, and the origional crowd said they would replace it for 60 euro, not too expensive but it still should not have happened.