Double Dimmer Switch installation help

jnh

I recently bought a double dimmer switch to replace a standard double light switch. However, the supplied instructions seem to cover every other switch the company produces, but not the one I got.

Each of the switches has three connections - L1, L2 and a variable resistor(?) symbol (actually, it's a ~ symbol with an arrow through it). My assumption was that the live wire is put into either L1 or L2 (using L1 for one lamp and L2 for the other) and the lamp wire is put into the variable connector. However, in the current standard double switch, there is a common wire that joins the two switches. I can't quite figure out whether something similar is required in my new switch. Can anybody help me out a little on this? The current light switch is the only switch for the two lights.

Thanks in advance!

Hi jnh, use the L1 and ~ terminals. The L2 is used for two way switching. So you can use the same live feed to feed both L1 contacts, then connect the lamps to the ~ terminals.

Not that you're likely to be too interested, but it won't use a variable resistor which would be extremely wasteful, but more likely a variable rectifier circuit, which will switch off for a portion of the mains cycle.
Leo

You can get dimmable CFLs now, check the packaging. If it doesn't explicity mention it, asume they can't be dimmed.

The other thing to be aware of is the rating of the switch- dimmer switches tend to be rated for a minimum load of say 200w up to maybe 500w. Ideally your choice of switch should match as close as possible the anticipated load. In other words don't team a switch rated for 500w with a 200w bulb.