Double authorisation issue with Axxxx

Lulublue

Hi All,

Im not sure if this is the right forum but I would like some feedback on this issue with Axxx. I placed an order on Tuesday for goods totalling over €200. Axxx authorised my bank on Tuesday night to that value. However on Thursday am Axxx again issued an authorisation to my bank for the same order.

Once I realised I contacted Axxx who assured me this was an error on my banks behalf and gave me both authorisation codes. I immediately contacted my bank who explained that no the bank had not placed a second authorisation on my a/c but axxx had. The bank representitive went on to explain that the bank were unable to remove the authorisation without Axxx contacting them but that the likely procedure was that Axxx would only claim one authorisation and the other would return to my a/c within 7 - 10 days.

I recontacted Axxx again asking them to remove the second authorisation which has not happened so far.

My main issue however is that I am livid that 1. Axxx did a double authorisation request in the first place and 2. the extremely blasé attitude of cs that because they would not take the second amount from my card that there really isn't an issue with asking my bank to hold money that they are not entitled to and in the process deny me access to these funds for a period of 7 - 10 days.

I use my card for over 90% of transactions both on-line and in store and have never come across this issue before. I'm wondering is there anything I can do to rectify the situation and who if anyone can I complain to.

thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I've seen this situation occurring several times with online credit card orders. Not frequent but not uncommon either. I've no idea why it happens, and one of the charges always goes away.

Yes, this is very common, particularly with that retailer!
They put through a preauthorisation when you place the order, which blocks the funds on your card. Then when the order is ready for shipping, they put through the actual transaction. In theory what should happen is the actual transaction should refer to the preauthorisation and it would change he block to a hard posting.
I've read several reasons for this not happening; e.g. if your original order is shipped in separate packages they have to put through different amounts.
Where this really manifests itself is with prepaid cards, or for example Revolut as the second transaction can't post. There might be an expectation from the retailer that the block will have expired or something like that.
The usual outcome is retailer blames bank, bank blames retailer, and customer loses out waiting for the block to expire so they can access the funds.
It's a terrible customer experience. You'll find thousands of complaints about this online.
I'm not sure what you can do about it I'm afraid.

Just to update this I haven't heard anything back from Axxx since Sunday. However on checking my account this evening Axxx have taken the amount owed to them. ( listed as having gone through yesterday) and the pending transaction has disappeared from my a/c . It only took 9 phone calls 5 emails and 1 feedback on CS and my entire weekend to resolve the issue. Happy I can access my funds again but still very annoyed at the whole situation .

Back