Dormer bungalow - fire escape requirements

lfcjfc

I've read the 2006 building regs that relate to fire safety etc but I'm still not 100% clear on the requirements for fire escapes on the first floor of a dormer bungalow. Roof window companies are trying to sell me fire escape windows (open to a wider angle) for pretty much every opening - as they cost more, its in their interest to do so. Most of our rooflights will be very large so I wouldnt see any issue with escape if they were normal top-hung roof windows. However, the regs are there for a reason and I want to be sure the we make adequate provisions. Can anybody summarise the requirements for me.

simple as i can put it...

1. when the window is open there must be a clear unobstructed area of at least 0.33 sq m (with a minimum height or width of 450mm)
2. the window should be capable of remaining in the opening position (important for rooflights)
3. the bottom of this openable section must be between 600mm and 1100mm above floor level
4. the distance from the eaves of the roof to the bottom of the openable section must not be more than 1700mm
5. the area below the window on the ground should be left clear for someone to escape down to, or easily accessible for someone with a ladder.

a few points:
* simply use a rooflight designed for escape purposes, like the Velux GPL M08, which is 1400 x 780 and top hung.
* usually the purlin becomes a problem in a dormer situation. dont allow the carpenter to take shortcuts by simply running the purlin straight through, it may be necessary to cut it to achieve the opening.

Thanks Sydthebeat.

One final question - does this requirement apply to every room on the first floor of a dormer ie all bedrooms, bathrooms and ensuites?

no it only applies to bedrooms.

im assuming your stairs discharges into a hall.....,
if it discharges into a room (ie in a open plan arrangement) then all habitable rooms on the first floor must comply with these regs.

This is what the 2006 regs say about restrictors....

e) The opening section of the window should be
secured by means of fastenings which are readily
openable from the inside and should be fitted
with safety restrictors. Safety restrictors can be
either an integral part of the window operating
gear or separate items of hardware which can be
fitted to a window at the time of manufacture or
at installation. Restrictors should operate so that
they limit the initial movement of an opening
section to not more than 100 mm. Lockable
handles or restrictors, which can only be
released by removable keys or other tools,​
should not be fitted to window opening sections.

They are a very good idea in my opinion.

Permanent restrictors??? at 75mm????
absolute madness....... may as well have bars in the windows....

Obviously windows that open enough for people to get out in the case of a fire are a good idea. But what about kids, if you can open it can't children? I refer in particular to the bit about keys not being a good idea.

Back