Dorment Account at Permenent TSB

D

DCH

Hi,
A few weeks ago my mother found an old Irish Permenent Deposit book with a balance of approx £ 250. The last entry in the book was from 1992. As my father passed away in 2001, my mother went into the local Permenent TSB branch to see was there any way she could access this account. As she is also a long term customer of this bank, she assumed it would be a simple matter of producing a Death Cert. However she was told by staff that there was nothing she could do as the account was classified as Dorment and taken by the government.
Would be grateful for anybody out there who could give here some advise on how to resolve this matter.

Cheers,
DCH

Hi DCH,

Wouldn't it have been nice if the PermanentTSB had more helpfully advised you that you simply have to complete a form to reclaim funds held in a Dormant Account? :|

See the [broken link removed].

Regards,

Liam D Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Good link, Liam.

Some usefull snippets - Dormant accounts may be reactivated either by the customer or the legal/personal representative(s) of the customer.

Also - The funds in the account remain the property of the customer and will be repaid on receipt of a valid claim

It's important to remember the above points are *always* true.

I know of a few people who got into a bit of a tizzy last year and rushed around to find old deposit books and things and made token lodgements to ensure the accounts didn't go dormant, despite the fact that all the publicity had indicated that the Government or banks will never take ownership of the money. They are only using it for liquidity purposes as far as I understand.

z

Hi,
Thanks for the advise, will let you know how helpful Permenent TSB are with this.

Cheers,
DCH

Back