Dormant Accounts problem

BoredCarrot

I have a joint bank account with very elderly relative who is deceased since 2013 . I am elderly myself and do not wish to waste my precious time on this any longer.
It contains the grand total of 80 euro.

I also have my own bank account at the same institution (EBS).

Despite regularly using my own account I have found it impossible to close the joint account and withdraw this small sum.

They have made it dormant or given it some sort of predormant status for as far back as I can remember.

In order to close the account and release the funds they are demanding a death certificate.

I used to have one of.tbose many years ago but cannot find it ..I seem to remember it costing me 20 euro at the time .

It seems unfair to want to charge me 20 euro to release an 80 euro sum.

I went to our GP and obtained a letter confirming this person's status as deceased since 2013 but the staff at the bank counter won't accept it.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this disproportionate fee ? Is this predormant/inactive status their own internal policy or is it defined by law ?

I am elderly myself and do not wish to waste my precious time on this any longer.
I have a memory that if you are in receipt of SW, the fee for a death cert is waived? I could be wrong though.

More importantly, do you need the €80?

update: sorry I got my wires crossed, if cert is needed for SW the cost is reduced
"A certificate is issued for social welfare purposes at a reduced cost. Evidence it is for social welfare purposes is required, such as a note from the department."

I have a memory that if you are in receipt of SW, the fee for a death cert is waived? I could be wrong though.

More importantly, do you need the €80?
I need the 80 more than the banks do ! In fact it was originally my money paying her bills. I actually lodged it. I was taking care of someone who took care of me.