Dormant account for closed company?

JustSomeone

Hi there,

5-10 years ago, I was self employed as a contractor. I set myself up as a limited company. The company ceased trading a few years go, when I decided to return to wage slavery for the sake of the mortgage.

It recently dawned on me that I have a couple of hundred euro still in that company's current account. I checked with the bank and the account has been flagged as dormant. Apparently I can go into the branch, wake it up and reclaim the loot.

But... as the legal entity which created the account (my company) no longer exists. Can I legally gain access to it? I am the authorised signatory on the account, and still have the old chequebook.

Thanks

The money in that account is the property of the Minister for Finance. Once a company is dissolved any assets in its' name are become vested in the Minister for Finance.

Did you actually dissolve the company? We had an issue recently with having to distribute funds to a now-defunct company. We got letters from the company's previous lawyers confirming that the old directors were entitled to the proceeds and those letters were accepted by the person distributing the funds (an acquisition scenario so, although the payer was v concerned about the legitimacy of any claim to the funds, they weren't a government or anything). As a former director, I'm betting that you will be able to just go into the bank and get the money - you won't know unless you try!

Sprite