Doors

Qbot

hi, just wondering if anyone has gotten a good deal on interior doors lately. I am in dublin and am looking for solid oak. Thanks

Try Woodworkers on Mount Tallant Avenue in Harolds Cross. Have a good selection. No association other than a frequent satisfied customer.

I got good quality oak doors at reasonable cost from Dublin Door and Timber Products, Northern Cross Dublin 11 (not Door Store, Bluebell) They are not solid oak but very admired and I am frequently asked where they were obtained. I got one solid oak door made, which is lovely but cost nearly three times the afore-mentioned.

I am also looking at doors at the moment, im not a fan of pine. Solid oak doors are working out around average of €320 each and engineered oak at €150 each. You have to buy the frames architrave and skirting after that. I have 20 internal doors, for all in solid oak it works out at €16,200 and for engineered prefinished doors frame skirting and architrave €10,100. Would any body recommend getting cheap and cheerful skirting and architrave paint them white and having the oak doors then?

i havent bought from these yet but they look good. Have seen them in a new build and couldnt believe they came from brooks. [broken link removed]

Also a company in Lismore waterford that i saw at the self-build show last weekend. Croatian Spectrum. Had solid oak (and other woods - one particularily nice dark wood - ocha-spelling?) doors fully fitted in frames for €299. and solid front doors for 1299. Stuff looked really good but not near dublin of course. Could be worth the spin to their showroom however. Their website is [broken link removed] Really just has links to their suppliers from Croatia. No connection. just really impressed by their display

Would any body recommend getting cheap and cheerful skirting and architrave paint them white and having the oak doors then?

Nope.

We bought cherry doors, architrave, frame and skirting to match from the [broken link removed] 4 years ago. We were very happy with the finished product. They are pricey so don't buy from them unless they are on sale. Which should be in the next few weeks anyway.

They do a very nice white oak too. The doors are engineered as far as I know.

No affiliation etc.

Would any body recommend getting cheap and cheerful skirting and architrave paint them white and having the oak doors then?

I have a mixture in my place, for some I made up oak architrave myself, for others I used deal and painted it. Don't paint it white though, go for a complimentary light brown/cream.
Leo

Jollyman,

We are looking at getting doors for our new build at the moment, can get solid oak door in a red deal architrave for about €260 each. We're planning on painting the architrave and skirting white. Have seen white architrave with oak doors in other houses and magazines and looks very well - the white architrave actually highlights the features in the oak doors even more, so I'd recommend it!

sorry meant to say will be painting architrave an off white color, not brilliant white...

Does anybody know roughly how much a carpenter would charge per pre-hung door for installation please?

We got 20 engineered oak shaker style doors in brooks last year. They were originally €151 each. I negotiated a price of €112 each, they were then priced at €130 in a Sale. I could not get them for negotiated price during the sale, When the sale was over I ended up getting them @ €103 each. We used white deal frame and architrave , painted them egshell white. There was a hell of amount of work on the doors, ended up putting 4 coats of varnish on them with the obligatory in between sanding. Brings back bad memories. But they turned out a treat in the end.

Secman

Last edited:
I think all doors at the moment in the engineered oak come as pre finished in a satin stain so that does safe a whole lot of work! €145 in cork builders for oak shaker engineered door today.

Its the frames the glass the architrave and skirting that all adds up to make it expensive!

I am also looking at doors at the moment and a builder friend of mine suggested getting complete doorsets which come with the frame, architrave, handles and hinges as one unit. They are easy to install particularly with a timber frame build

I am also looking at doors at the moment and a builder friend of mine suggested getting complete doorsets which come with the frame, architrave, handles and hinges as one unit. They are easy to install particularly with a timber frame build

Yes. that is what the croatian spectrum lads had...(again, no association) Frames came in matching hard wood also. I will probably go with timber frame and these seem so easy to put in. Could be a DIY job or certainly would not take a carpenter long. Havent looked around for other prices but 299 per door including frame/architrave and the savings on labour for a carpenter to install the door seems like decent value.

Doorkits.ie are doing a special at the moment €249 per complete doorset skirting frame & architrave

I got 14 engineered white oak doors in McMahons for €120 each. Very good quality and satin finished.
They were from Carrolls joinery. Details attached below.
[broken link removed]

I'm getting solid oak doors (carrolls joinery) for 125 euro's, I know brooks had a sale recently and they had a lovely engineered oak doors but they are very light in colour, similar to pine IMO and wouldn't have matched the oak skirting or stairs, if you are getting engineered doors in oak get the door frame and architrave matching, there is nothing worse than mismatching woods that are supposed to be the same type. If you choose pine then there is no problem..

My house will plastered internally in the next few weeks. Is it possible to put in temporary door frames for the plastering and retrofit the finished door frame afterwards. It would mean extra cost but doors frames will not get damaged during plastering. Any suggestions would be great

Thats what i have done rahman, i asked my builders providers to drop out any damaged white deal frame he had €60 for the whole house will take this out after and the oak ones will go in, no damage occurred hopefully!

If you are going for oak it is recommended to put in dummy frames due mainly to the cost of replacing a oak door frame if it gets damaged by the plasters