Doors, Skirting, Architrave, Frames

Aimee

Hi Guys,

I am presently sourcing doors, skirting, architrave.

I have seen lots in hardware stores but was not entirely happy with quality.

I have received a quote from a joiner for a four panel, red deal internal door - €330-00 incl vat - quite expensive you will agree.

I have now spoken to a guy who has recommended a Kelly Brothers Door - price at €90-00 plus vat, he says the doors are great quality and give no problems. Anyone familiar with these doors?? (I will go to see them in a couple of weeks hopefully)

Also, my present dilema - should I allow the builders to put in architrave and skirting and order the doors from this guy who supplies Kelly Bros doors, bearing in mind that I would be having same sprayed (red deal, with just a lacquer) and then go back in time and varnish the architrave and skirting myself. OR should I order the lot - doors, skirting and architrave from this guy and have him spray the lot??

My worry is that my varnishing may not match his door in time? Mind you can you go that far wrong with a varnish?? I hope this all makes sense to you guys, starting to confuse myself LOL.

Any suggestions / advise would be greatly appreciated!

I know a builder and he buys all his doors from Dublin Doors. From the yellow pages I think this is them............
Dublin Door Store The

Address:Bluebell Ind Est
12Phone(01) 4600363Fax(01) 4564710

I'm looking at buying doors, frames, skirting etc- I have looked at several places and have decided on the Dublin door store as well...... I had considered going with the "applications" brand that is in many hardware stores but fell for the white oak solid doors in the door store - havent got them yet as their sale starts in Feb.......

I am looking for doors at the moment. I visited Dublin Doors today. It is a different place from The Dublin Door Store. Details:
Dublin Doors, 6 Northern Cross Business Park, Finglas. 01 8068044
They have a very good range of doors in both traditional and modern styles - all engineered - and the prices seem to be much better than other places I visited.

what ever you do, dont install skirting before its sanded and varnished, sanded and varnished, sanded and varnished!! Its a B*tch to do afterwards and you need to do a couple of sands to get the best finish (hence why my builders will be doing that hard work for me!!)

i buy all my doors from dublin doors(doorsireland.ie)woodworkers(woodworker.ie)chadwicks bray.dublin doors have a wide choice of doors in knotty pine,red deal,oak,maple,ash,beech,etc...also do skirting,frames,etc.woodworks do a good deal in pre-finnished white oak doors for (150-250 euro).sometimes try to ask for trade price on a order like that .

Bought mine in Doorkits.ie near Athlone. They come Pre -Finished and hung in the frame, great job, saves on carpentery installation costs also. You may or may not want to to go with the architrave, they will sell with or without. Did a cost comparison with a joiner and there was only one winner esp when you take the installation cost savings into account.