Door frames

moneymakeover

Hello

If getting replacement doors does it also make sense to replace the frames/architrave?

Or is too much hassle sand expense?

50 year old house

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I would but if the frames are very good then it's your choice. Also take into a'c that they match. Another point to remember is 50 years ago measurements weren't metric because everything is now

Whatever about the architraves if the frames are sound I would definitely leave them in situ.

Why go pulling walls and/or studding apart to change a sound frame ?

Agree with SparkRite there, if they can be reused, then that's probably the way to go. Some settlement is likely in a 50 year old house, and pulling out frames might end up resulting in more remediation of surrounding walls or plaster.

I wonder are you talking about the door liners rather than the frames? The frame is typically hidden from view, whereas the liner and architrave is what you actually see. There'd be little value to replacing the frames and it would involve some risk as others have said, whereas the liner/architraves are just lightly fixed onto the frame so can easily be changed if you want.

FWIW I replaced doors recently and wanted to modernise the look, so replaced the architrave but left the liners in-place for most of the doors as they were in good condition and don't tend to have a profile to them, they're just standard planed timber.

er are you talking about the door liners rather than the frames?

In many older houses they're a single unit. If there are separate frame & liner, then it is indeed a much easier job and it should be straightforward to accommodate modern frame dimensions.

Back