Door Frames & Window Boards

StevenC

Hi,

I'm almost ready to get self build house plastered both outside (wet-dash) and inside (sand/cement and skim) but obviously I need my window boards and door frames fitted before the inside is started.

I haven't yet decided on the wood i'm going to use for skirting/architrave and doors so what wood should I use to get this done?

I'm definetly not using pine or red deal for doors but oak veneer doors has been recommended to me by a 2nd fix carpenter however i don't intend using solid oak for door frames and window boards.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Oak veneer doors (flush, solid panel I assume?) will look good, especially with good ironmongery. If you don't intend to use hardwood frames, architrave or skirting then red deal is perfectly acceptable when painted. For window boards MDF is a good bet (less shrinkage, no cracks or defects after painting) and is ecomomical.

Thanks Carpenter,

Yes, flush solid panel oak veneer doors are the ones. However, i don't intend painting the door frames or skirting/architrave or window boards in the near future.
Should i use a hardwood such as oak which i presume will be expensive or is there something else i could use which would match the doors?

Well, I thought you didn't want the expense of using matching frames, skirtings and architraves in hardwood? I think you either decide to match the oak with solid oak or else you go for painted softwood, there is really no benefit in trying to use a cheaper hardwood for the frames etc (not that there's likely to be any saving in using ash, meranti etc in place of oak). I've seen oak doors with painted frames, skirtings etc and it looks well, it's certainly a good option if budget is a concern.

Back