Donald Tusk's "special place in hell" remark

The EU has been using food and medicine shortages as leverage in negotiations with UK from day one. Take off the blinkers.

Where? Show me one link where the EU has openly threatened the UK with food and medicine shortages to force them change their mind. One link where that was said. Pointing out the realities of the supply chain issues is not the same as a politician openly saying we can use food shortages to make Ireland drop the backstop.

And you are comparing Ross saying something that wasn't meant for public consumption to the Northen Ireland Secretary not even understanding Northern Ireland politics??? That's just weird.

Where? Show me one link where the EU has openly threatened the UK with food and medicine shortages to force them change their mind. One link where that was said. Pointing out the realities of the supply chain issues is not the same as a politician openly saying we can use food shortages to make Ireland drop the backstop.

There's no material difference, given that the EU are not just pointing out supply chain issues but causing them through their direct actions and inactions.

There's no material difference, given that the EU are not just pointing out supply chain issues but causing them through their direct actions and inactions.

You are not making any sense now. Britain has asked to leave or have I missed something in the last two years. So Britain asks to leave but it the EU's responsibility to sort out the logistics mess? And so I am guessing you don't have a link where the EU has threatened the UK with food shortages then.......

And you are comparing Ross saying something that wasn't meant for public consumption to the Northen Ireland Secretary not even understanding Northern Ireland politics??? That's just weird.
I don't like Ross. I think he's a bit creepy, a total opportunist, totally lacking in integrity, a complete hypocrite and makes a show of himself when he's in public.
That said it is grossly unfair on the man to drag him down to the level of Karen Brady.

You are not making any sense now. Britain has asked to leave or have I missed something in the last two years. So Britain asks to leave but it the EU's responsibility to sort out the mess? And so I am guessing you don't have a link where the EU has threatened the UK with food shortages then.......

Britain is exercising its rights to leave under EU treaty. EU has a core (not the entire) responsibility to accomodate this. Not accomodating this, there is the risk of such shortages.

Please provide the exact quote by conservative politician threatening Ireland with food shortages, as opposed to pointing out the consequences of their negotiating position in the event of "no deal". I don't see any threat here.
A leaked UK report which suggested that Ireland will suffer a GDP drop of 7pc and risks food shortages under a no-deal scenario has been dismissed here.
The report noted that Ireland was a far more open economy than the UK and outlines our vulnerabilities post-Brexit.
Brexiteer Priti Patel suggested the report should have been used to press Ireland to drop the backstop and said there was still time for a renegotiation.

https://www.independent.ie/business...aten-ireland-with-food-shortage-37606209.html

I don't like Ross. I think he's a bit creepy, a total opportunist, totally lacking in integrity, a complete hypocrite and makes a show of himself when he's in public.
That said it is grossly unfair on the man to drag him down to the level of Karen Brady.

Karen Brady appears at least to have the virtue of honesty. It would have been much easier for her to pretend she did know?
I don't think we are in the positions of casting stones at another country's cabinet given the make up of ours.

Karen Brady appears at least to have the virtue of honesty. It would have been much easier for her to pretend she did know?
I don't think we are in the positions of casting stones at another country's cabinet given the make up of ours.
Stone them all, that's what I say!

You're right; she's an honest to god idiot.

Actually if they give us Declan Rice, Big Ben (I think it would look good on O'Connell Street) and take Shane Ross, I would be willing to take my chances without the backstop...

Oh and a media ban on all Northern politicans. And they should pay for the Childrens Hospital as well....

So far I heard the following from UK politicians:
  • We can use food shortages as leverage to get Ireland to drop the backstop
  • Well I haven't read the Good Friday Agreement. It is 35 pages after all (Dominic Rabb)
  • There was never a hard border in Ireland (Arlene Foster)
  • I didn't know that Nationalists and Unionists didn't vote for each other. (Karen Brady (NORTHERN IRELAND SECRETARY)
  • English people are entitled to an Irish Passport and Irish people are entitled to an British passport (Andrew Bridgen Tory MP)
Given the above, does any reasonable person not see why Ireland is so reluctant to trust the UK position that everything will be ok on the night with regard to the Good Friday Agreement. An agreement that they designed, co-signed and are obligated to protect. And we still have a Northern Ireland secretary who didn't know Unionists and Nationalists didn't vote for each other or a politician who thinks Ireland can be united anytime the people in the South decide it. I love England and I have English family and friends but Brexit has brought out the worst in the very many little Englanders who are free to spout their ill-informed, xenophobic, racist views under the Brexit banner. Tusk is right about the people who have been plotting Brexit and peddling lies for years.
Don't forget David Davies, when Minister for Brexit, who wanted to negotiate individual trade deals with each EU member state. Clown.

In all this Brexit fiasco, do people feel there's anyone coming out of it with their heads held high or in any way honest and respectful?

Please provide the exact quote by conservative politician threatening Ireland with food shortages,

It was only back in December, covered globally. MP Priti Patel suggested they could prevent the use of the UK as a landbridge for food supplies to Ireland, and should use that threat in negotiations.

It was only back in December, covered globally. MP Priti Patel suggested they could prevent the use of the UK as a landbridge for food supplies to Ireland, and should use that threat in negotiations.

I can't access link. It's paywalled. What were the exact comments, and did they differ from the comments I excerpted earlier?
I see no threat here so far, or suggestion that Britain should take positive action to obstruct landbridge, as opposed to making Irish government aware of the impact on landbridge in the event of no deal.

The Tusk comments are mild in comparison to the head of a UK company I deal with and who has sales of circa €200m into the eu.

I asked what plans they had for brexit.

Answer was "how the f do you plan for something you have no information about, created by a shower of self absorbed, self important selfish f%@#wits."

He's British.

The Tusk comments are mild in comparison to the head of a UK company I deal with and who has sales of circa €200m into the eu.
I asked what plans they had for brexit.
Answer was "how the f do you plan for something you have no information about, created by a shower of self absorbed, self important selfish f%@#wits."
He's British.

That's allowed when it's your own team. It's a pretty good description of our Cabinet that I must re-use.

Back