Domain name registration

G

geegee

I may set up a website in the near future and have thought up a good name for it. I want to protect it by registering it.

Which is the most straightforward and cost-effective way of doing this?

Thanks for any help.

First thing you need to do is check if the domain name is still
available - you can check it here www.register365.ie/

If its still available I'd also purchase it from register365 (they have a very good support team).

Once you have registered your domain name its time to have a
chat with a web developer and decide where to go from there

If you are looking for a .com domain (as opposed to a .ie domain), there are many cheap providers of domain names out there such as .

Yes,

I've used GODaddy to register a domain and their service is good. Cost $17.90 for 2 years, or about €14 at the time.
For Hostimg the domain I was recommended (and use) UCVHost www.ucvhost.com/ which costs €25 for 2 years, about €1 per month. They have a very usefull Stats facility (AWSTATS) that comes with the hosting, for free, (maybe all hosters do) that allows you to see the number of hits to your website plus a whole lot of other info (e.g. what search words and engines they used to find your site).

1 thing that I was recommended to do, and appreciate the advice, is to create a new email account for use when registering the domain, because unless you opt for privacy (which costs more) you will get loads of emails offering all sorts of web services, i.e. spam.

Feel free to visit us at www.corktango.com or if you are into Tango, and in Cork, drop in.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies. It is a .ie name I am thinking of registering . Do the registration and hosting companies listed below cater for .ie?

Thanks again,

gg

Through this forum I was pointed to blacknight.ie who, to my knowledge are the cheapest .ie reseller.

Why is .ie so expensive!?

.ie = €55 domain registration for 1 year
.com = €9 for 1 year!

Is there a cheaper way of registering a .ie domain name?

gg

Cheaper ie..................not that I am aware of. .ie is probably expensive because it's Irish supplied........tongue in cheek.

Although there is extra criteria involved when registering (business registration / fax of your details and reason for registering etc.), it still doesn't, in my opinion, justify the inflated cost.

Irish domain name

OK, but is there a cheaper way of registering a .ie? Just compare the prices!

Re: Irish domain name

.ie registration is not cheap - that's the reason so many go for .com

In addition, there is lots of red tape involved. You can't just register any old name you like (as you can with a .com).

All the details you need are here

This has a list of all the approved domain resellers. Some of these may give you a discounted registration price - especially if you host your site through them

Is there a dotcom website where you can check availability of a domain name?

domains

I use www.register.ie ( you can check domain availability here as well) and have a domain through them, great service when required ( a little dearer - Eur18 a year for a .com) but worth it. They also have a service called "email lite" for Eur18 a year - catchall email service for low use. No complaints about them at all.