Doing business in the UK

beta2

Hi

I'm in the process of setting up my business, initially we are focused on software export to the UK.

The customers are typically local councils or large institutions in England, We're based in Ireland and thats not an issue for them. However to make their lives easier they'd like to pay funds for PO's into UK bank accounts. Its a fair enough request.

What I'm thinking of doing is opening a virtual office with mail forwarding somewhere in the UK. Can this office address be used for opening a bank account in England? or Can I use an Irish address?

Also does anyone have any recommendations on which bank to use, I'd like to be able to deal with bank people in Ireland about my UK account.

Regards

B2

You would need to be careful you do not come to the attention of the UK revenue.

If they deem you to have a place of business in the UK you will be liable for UK corporation tax.

We have a Bank of Ireland Sterling account opened in Belfast for receiving UK monies ( and for paying UK suppliers).

There was no problem opening it. ( bar the usual ID and utility bills, cert of incorporation etc.)

You should certianly tax tax advice for this matter on both Irish and UK issues.

If you are a Ltd company and if you do not have an office in the UK, and are concluding all contracts in Ireland, it is likely that you will not have any UK corporation tax issues (but this will depend).

However, if you are personally spending time in the UK, you may be considered tax resident there if you are habitually spending 91 days or more there a year. You need to consider this.

If you become UK resident (as well as Irish resident) you will be dual resident for tax purposes as an individual, and if you are a Ltd company and a director, you may cause the company to become resident in the UK.

If you are self-employed and carry out busines in the UK you are liable to UK tax on the business income arising whether you are UK resident or not.

Other than the above issues, if you do business exceeding a certain amount in the UK you may have to register for VAT in the UK.

Do similar things with my business, but just run through northern ireland bank (Bank of Ireland). Same as opening a business account in the republic. No tax issues.

if you invoice from UK address you will be liable for UK taxes.