Dogs and blood pressure.

cremeegg

Does anyone know much about dogs. Our dog explodes with a fit of barking a few times every day, usually when she sees the neighbours cat, or a particular car passes on the road. It is always annoying, but one of the family has started working nights and now it is becoming a real problem. None of the usual causes of barking seem to apply, the dog isn't left alone, is walked regularly etc. I think she just enjoys the excitement. But its driving me crazy.

When she barks take a rolled up newspaper and loud cries of "GWAN'OUTA'DAT!" as you wave the newspaper and/or slipper at her in a threatening manner. It almost certainly won't help but at least you'll feel you are doing something.

Barking like that is usually protecting its territory or excitement / greeting, their body language should tell you which. Breeds like terriers were bred to bark more, so that's just their nature. Never shout at the dog in an attempt to stop them barking, apparently they see this as you joining in and it only encourages the behaviour. Proper training is required to address this where they get to understand a verbal and visual cue to stop.

my terrier does the same, as far as she is concerned it's her job to protect us against the evil of cats. It's guarding her territory and position in the house.

I'll guess it's a smallish dog like a bichon :) Barking Feckers with eyes that see every movement out on the road.

One option would be to get some sort of blackout barrier to cover the part of the window the dog can see out of. This way you still get the light and sunshine, but dog can't see movement.

Dog may bark at the covering initially, but very quickly will get used to it.

Edit - Herself suggests stick on frosted glass https://www.amazon.co.uk/Frosted-Privacy-Sticker-Anti-UV-Bathroom/dp/B07VS7N2JJ

Last edited:
I suggest that this piece of savagery, an animal torture device, belongs in the dark ages with bear baiting, bull "fighting" fox-hunting, cock fighting, hare coursing, dog fighting and other activities that viewed animals as ours to control, brutalise, injure and kill as the whim took us. It inflicts terror, pain and harm on an innocent animal whose "owner" is too dumb or lazy to invest in proper training. From the Cesar Milan school of training and belongs to a time when corporal punishment was seen as a means of training children.

I suggest that this piece of savagery, an animal torture device, belongs in the dark ages with bear baiting, bull "fighting" fox-hunting, cock fighting, hare coursing, dog fighting and other activities that viewed animals as ours to control, brutalise, injure and kill as the whim took us. It inflicts terror, pain and harm on an innocent animal whose "owner" is too dumb or lazy to invest in proper training. From the Cesar Milan school of training and belongs to a time when corporal punishment was seen as a means of training children.

Calm down.......

I only suggested it as my neighbour used it successfully on his own barking dog and after a week there wasn't a sound out of him. The dog did not appear to be under any form of torture.

You're not a fan then?

[broken link removed]

Well said, Mathepac. Ireland lags behind again I suppose - but these are already banned in UK, see Wales rspca for example.

Calm down.......

I only suggested it as my neighbour used it successfully on his own barking dog and after a week there wasn't a sound out of him. The dog did not appear to be under any form of torture.

'training collars' are illegal in many countries and for good reason. The dog might be quiet as a result but most dog owners don't know how to recognise signs of stress so their use leads to more problems in the long term.

Reward based training is the way to go, your vet should be able to give advice on this.

'training collars' are illegal in many countries and for good reason. The dog might be quiet as a result but most dog owners don't know how to recognise signs of stress so their use leads to more problems in the long term.

Reward based training is the way to go, your vet should be able to give advice on this.
Now I don't want anyone getting all judgy or anything 'cause I'm just asking for a, em, a friend, yes, a friend but is there any specific law banning the use of these on children?

Now I don't want anyone getting all judgy or anything 'cause I'm just asking for a, em, a friend, yes, a friend but is there any specific law banning the use of these on children?
I would imagine it falls under the same rules as smacking, but sure changing the WiFi password would be more effective anyway!!!!!

I remember it well when I'd get home from school and tell the mother that Mrs .... had slapped me. None of that modern outrage or running for a solicitors number, instead I'd get asked, (crossly) "what were you doing??!

Back