Dog Poo

paul24

In our estate the 16 houses are based around a common green area. There are 12 kids under the age of 7 in this estate who cannot play on the green as there are dogs constantly fouling the area.
A couple of the residents have come up with the idea of writing to all the dog owners explaining our concerns and including a copy of the Control of Dogs Act and a copy of the Litter pollution Act.
We can get pictures or video of the dogs roaming around freely on the green but can the authorities do anything unless they catch the offending dog in the act?

I am sure that this is a common problem and would appreciate anybody else’s experience in dealing with this nuisance.
We are trying to handle this problem sensitively and do not want to fall out with our neighbours.

Thanks,
Paul24

I would suggest you contact the dog warden in your local authority for advice on this one.

It's also worth noting that dog faeces can pose a serious health risk. Those who accidentally fall into or touch dog faeces run the risk of contracting Toxocarisis. From what I have read, this can lead to a range of health conditions including abdominal pain, asthma, pneumonia and has also been known to lead to visual impairments.

This is quite a serious issue therefore - particulary with children around. Have you perhaps considered holding a residents meeting? You could raise the issue of the dogs at the meeting, explain the health risks, even perhaps show your video?

Paul,
I sympathise with your problem (especially as it's virtually impossible to clear up dog faeces satisfactorily off grass), however as a responsible dog owner (i.e. licensed, vaccinated, chipped, leashed, etc.) I'd go ballistic if my RA gave me a copy of the Control of Dogs Act and a copy of the Litter Pollution Act. Is there some way you can target the owners of the culprit dogs, rather than all the dog owners? I'm sure the responsible dog owners are as frustrated as you are.

If a dog is allowed out on his own unsupervised, he is going to do, what he has to do, when and where he feels the need. I always take a supply of nappy sacks with me when I take my dog out. It is disappointing that there are not more bins for disposing of the bag in public parks

I'm also always amazed to see people stopping with their dog on a lease, letting them do their business on the grass verge outside a house and then just walking off, leaving the mess for someone else to clean. Particularly nasty if it's your house and you have a visitor parking on the road before coming into your house at night, unaware of what they have stepped on.

Murt

Ye i think you should write a letter to all owners. Being a dog owner myself i wouldnt let my dog and if she needed i always carry bags with me incase. I think its the dog owners responsibilty to clean up after there dog.

I think it would be simple enough to identify the owners of the dogs that are littering your green. A simple "Control of dogs act" leaflet posted to the offending owners should sort the problem. For persistent offenders after this contact the dogwarden.

As a dog owner, I`ve been on the receiving end of one-issue neighbours, who target me as being responsible for any dog turd in the area.In an area where footpaths are now unusable (cars),bins are left in public areas and children play ball on the road (all illegal as are dog turds), I take offense at generally baseless accusations.If you want dog-owners to co-operate, approach both dog and owner with care.One or other is likely to bite if it feels its about to be attacked.
Take it that we are, at heart, reasonable people and like you tend to be engrossed in offenses caused to us and careless about offense we cause to you.

I know this thread is quite old but I wondered if any of you or anyone had ideas for stopping dogs from pooing on our front lawn. We are renting and the front gardens in our estate are all open with no dividing walls.

Everytime I head off for the day when I return I am met by at least one poo on our lawn. It annoys me as usual the kids jump out of the car to run to the door and inevititably stand in poo. They dogs are cute enough to let all out when the car is not in the drive and as of yet I have not spotted which dog is the culprit.

Anyhow I don't particularly want to tackle any of my neighbours unless I had definite poo..roof...:) so anyone know of anything I can put on lawn so as to possibly reduce the problem? I remember seeing bottles of water scattered on lawn does this work?

You could try this stuff, never tried it myself so I cant comment on how good/bad it is.
[broken link removed]

Word of warning, people who let their dog poo in your garden, or on the footpath, are not reasonable people, and so should not be approached as such.

As was suggested earlier, don't brand all dog owners. Spend a bit of time trying to catch the culprit, and follow them home. Then return their present to their own garden, or doorstep, and see how they like it.

fill up a couple of water bottles and put them on the lawn. apparently it puts possible offenders off!

Now that my daffodils are starting to come up - I want to enjoy looking at them without feeling like throwing up everytime I see all of the dog poo on the lawn.

I don't know who the culprits are, so can't target their owners.

Just wondering if anyone has had any sucess with the water bottle technique (always thought that just applied to cats) or to any other solution to this problem.

Last edited:
I used this... didn't find it useful at all!

As the title is "Dog Poo" - I'd like to contribute two recent scenarios I met when out walking my own dog.

As a responsible dog owner, I ALWAYS - clean up after my dog.... unfortunately not all dog owners do...

Whilst driving to sandymount beach on Saturday - to walk our dog - we drove along the canal - a lady (yes a well groomed lady) walking her dog - stopped as it left its load at the side of the path (on the grass edge).... She acted like she couldn't see the dog, as the full road of cars in traffic watched on... she then preceded to walk off...as she passed my car - I decided to ask her why she wasn't cleaning up after her dog.. to which she responded "He went on the grass - not on the path".... and she huffed and walked on????

Another incident - similar - was when a man walking his dog, again whilst stopped trafic watched on -his dog, stopped and dropped a load on a footpath on the greenhills road.. Again I asked from the window... to which he embarrassedly looked up - put head down and walked on....

It drives me mad when I see dog owners walk away.. its just not acceptable in this day and age - not to clean up after your dog...

You could try this stuff, never tried it myself so I cant comment on how good/bad it is.
[broken link removed]

Word of warning, people who let their dog poo in your garden, or on the footpath, are not reasonable people, and so should not be approached as such.

As was suggested earlier, don't brand all dog owners. Spend a bit of time trying to catch the culprit, and follow them home. Then return their present to their own garden, or doorstep, and see how they like it.

fill up a couple of water bottles and put them on the lawn. apparently it puts possible offenders off!

My parents did this last year to stop our own silly dogs pooing round the garden. I thought it was hilarious and was ready to get my parents certified but low and behold, the poo's stopped and dogs now run around to a field to do the business! Unbelievable!

Regarding the OP's problem of dog-poo in an open area accessible to all, wouldn't it be a course of action to ask the council to erect one of those 'scoop-the-poop or get fined' signs and then speak to the dog-warden (assuming one exists) about the issue of strays or wandering house dogs in the area?

I think this would be a good idea to do first rather than singling out local dog owners who probably don't let their dogs cause this problem.

If there's as much dog poo on the grass as is suggested, then it's probably caused by unsupervised 'latchkey' dogs or those let out on their own at night to do their business.

A video camera pointed to the open space will certainly record all the instances where an unsupervised animal takes a dump on the grass, but would the quality be good enough to identify the dog or would it work at night?

As an interim, maybe concerned residents could organise a sweep of the open space once every two or three days to remove the poo - a complete pain but at least it protects the kids. Children could be asked to get their parents to come and chase away unsupervised dogs (being careful of their own safety and with the advice of either the warden or local SPCA).

Back