Dog Microchip ID - How can you confirm ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

allthedoyles

We now have transferred ownership of a lovely dog into our name , complete with microchip number.

We want to go online and ensure that the dog is registered in our name .

We believe the website is www.fido.ie but we only have the microchip number and don't have the 'transfer ID '

Does anyone know how to confirm the registered owner ?

Do you know if the previous owners have already registered your dog on fido.ie?

We got our black lab jessie when she was five months old, she was already chipped but not registered on the site, but we were given the reg form along with all the details of her chip. On the form was a sticker with a six digit code which I entered in the site field below the field for chip number. Perhaps you need to get more information from the previous owner.

If the dog is registered with the Irish Kennel Club, you need to transfer ownership there also. We bought a metal tag for our dog's collar with her name and our phone number on it, just in case she gets lost, even though she is never allowed out without a minder!

Enjoy your dog, what flavour is it?

We bought a metal tag for our dog's collar with her name and our phone number on it, just in case she gets lost, even though she is never allowed out without a minder!

Good idea Katie as microchips can get 'lost' in dogs over time. Took the vet ages to find the one in my dog as it had moved so far from where they are normally inserted. In fact he would have given up if I hadn't been there and assured him that the dog was definitely microchipped.

Had'nt realised that the microchips would move once done. With all the technology, satellite etc, now should it not be possible that if a dog is stolen there should be some way its location could be traced short of having to find the dog.

I paid my vet €15 to register my dog on fido and another place.
I rang both subsequently to check how effective they were and left a message and no-one rang me back. A bit of a cod, I fear.

I've heard of the microchip moving as well. We are heading back to ireland with our dog and I didn't want any last minute hitches...so asked the vet to check the location of the chip...he rolled his eyes at me and said so you think it has fallen to the bottom of the dog....har har har (in french)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back