dog in rental property

S

Sunny

i have rented out a house to a family with a dog- just found out today that the dog bit the child they are not having the dog put down, the family have not told me but a neighbour that took them to hospital did so I am now worried if the dog bites a visiting child to the house will I be held responsible as I know that the dog has already bitten their own child, I do have insurance and the house is registered but would not want any child to be bitten because I did nothing any advice would be appreciated as the tenants are not very friendly so I have as little contact as possible

Call your insurance company and be sure that you are covered (then get it in writing).
I would then send your tenants a letter, (cc your solicitor) asking them what happened and what they intend to do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
If your are on good terms with a solicitor I'd give them a call as well.

dog

The owner of the dog is always responsible for it.No one else.But a known threat to public health must be registered/declared with the authorities .By every one who knows about it.
Who paid for the treatment of the child?The public?Make the dog owner responsible for the costs,a case of insurance fraud might have already happened("I never seen this dog before,Doctor,and it ran away after biting my child").
Pet insurances are not expensive,but some dog owners are simply irresponsible.

Re: dog

thank you both for replies, I checked with my insurance I am covered as the dog is a breed from their list, the mother paid for the hospital care and admitted it was her own dog, i decided to call round to the property and have a word with her about the dog but by that time it had bit the child again and she had it rehoused where there are no children as it is my first time renting perhaps i worried too much

Back