Dog for elderly people

R

Rosru

My elderly parents would like to get a dog. They are not keen on an indoor dog but would like an outdoor dog with a quiet temperment. The problem is they live in a rural area where ther have been problems with dogs chasing and killing sheep in the past. Also they are not active enough to be able provide a houge amount of exercise for dogs. I've heard labradors are good dogs to get as they are gentle and are quite happy without a lot of stimulation- does anyone have any experience with them or can you recommend a more suitable breed. All suggestions appreciated.

It sounds like your parents want a dog more for security than company. If that's the case, would you consider increasing the security around their home (e.g. alarm, panic buttons in the house) as an alternative? (I'd go for a big shotgun myself!). If they are set on a dog, talk to your local vet who can give you advice. Whatever dog they get, it will need some level of exercise and stimulation though to keep it happy and healthy. Good luck!

Is there such a thing as an indoor dog? I thought that all dogs needed to get outdoors to exercise? A Labrador will definitely need regular exercising.
It sounds like your parents want a dog more for security than company.
How did you draw that conclusion from the original post?

I draw that conclusion based on the following
1.) They're elderly
2.) They live in a rural area
3.) They're not keen on an indoor dog
4.) They're not active enough to provide a huge amount of exercise

To me it sounds like they want a dog for security. I may be wrong - I'm sure the OP will clarify.

There is such a thing as an indoor dog. I would class my dog as an indoor dog in that she sleeps indoors and is free to spend her days indoors if she wishes.

a collie type sheepdog (and if its for security also they can have him in at night in a utility room maybe). They are gorgeous dogs and usually have a quiet temprement. but i think no matter what age they, your parents are, if it is in an area where dogs roam they should forget about it unless they chain it up, day and night - or keep it in a secure area.

we have a collie cross and she is the most affectionate dog ever if your folks live in a rural area there is a device you can get for the boundry of their land to stop the dog from roaming without having to chain the dog up. the dog wears a collar and if he goes over the boundary he gets a small shock, don't use one ourselves no need but aunty does and swears by it.
If there is a dog pound locally you should check it out, as they could give an older dog a second chance.

i thought collies were full of beans though? did the OP not say he/she (sorry) was looking for a chilled dog that didn't need huge amounts of exercise.

a collie type sheepdog

Sorry but that's a dreadful suggestion given the ops requirement that the owners are not very active and these breeds are incredibly energetic and need long daily walking.

Rather than focus on a particular breed (since i would strongly advice them against getting a puppy of any sort in their situation) i'd heartily recommend an older dog, have a look at [broken link removed]

i suppose i only suggests this one as the older ones tend to be affectionate and very laid back and don't usually do much walking. But yes the pups are often wired!

I'm no expert but daushhounds (sp?) spring to mind. I've been told they are easy to keep.

Sounds as if this couple could provide a great home for an older dog and they need to focus on the age rather than the breed! It would save one animal from being killed if they choose a sedate older dog from one of the rescue homes. I recommend a five- or six-year-old mongrel bitch who will give them loyalty and great company as well as being generally healthier than highly-bred canines (but less likely to be 'chosen' for rescue due to our increasingly-snobbish attitudes!)

Labradors and Border collies in particular are two breeds which - up to later middle age anyway - need a couple of hours strenuous exercise every day and would feel constrained and unhappy in the circumstances described. Smaller dogs can sometimes be highly-strung and yappy and with older people can constitute a hazard as they get underfoot unnoticed.

I'm no expert but daushhounds (sp?) spring to mind. I've been told they are easy to keep.

Dachshunds are beautiful dogs with a lovely temperment but I wouldn't really advise in this case.

While they love the outdoors, (in my experience anyway) they do need a lot of exercise. They are also prone to putting on weight and can suffer from back problems later which might incur expensive vet bills. They also lose a lot of hair - the short-haired ones anyway.

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. The dog is not required for security- more for company. They were used to having a dog around but last one died about 2 years ago. At that time some of us lived at home so there was always someone to exercise the dog. I will look into getting an older one- it seems like a good suggestion. In any case the dog will get some exercise walking with my parents during the week and a good bit more when offspring descend on them at weekends. Thanks again.

check out for older settled dogs, we got our puppy there, mags is the lady who runs it and she was great.

you can sponsor older dogs there as well as they do not put any dogs down!