Does uninformed foreign property investment resemble a pyramid scheme?

Betsy Og

Seems to me that it is market hype or "hubris" that supports the price of many places. People buying property off plans, maybe they never see it, maybe they never stay there, its hard to travel to or to rent or a managment company takes the lions share of it.

While I'd be willing to have a punt for maybe 70k if I had it handy (I dont) I get the feeling that there isnt brilliant "intrinsic value" in some of the property, and people are hoping there'll be another return hungry investor to take it off your hands. In this respect could it be a bit like a pyramid scheme, in that if the supply of return hungry investors dries up, are you left with anything of value??

The corollary of the above is that if I was going to spend big money I'd make sure I could get to use the property so that if the market dipped I'd have something of value and my funds wouldnt be in vain, I could stick it out for the long run.

To sum up the above ramble - I fear that many overseas property investors are strictly in it for the quick buck and think they might be at risk (either to cashflow problems or negative equity) if they have to ever fully pay off the property, because they have paid well over the "intrinsic value".

I think all property in Ireland is a sort of pyramid. everybody is trading up all the time on the grounds that there is always new entrants to the market willing (?)to pay the asking price for getting into the property club. as long as there are lots of new entrants the property bubble won't burst. should the new entrants to this club ever dry up however........

Back