Does this seem €€€ to hang normal internal door??

Hopefully....I have a few....even got a craft cert for carpentry and joinery , would you believe. Why you got any..

sabre

went there to install a door closer one sat morn, but the company iwas working for gave the wrong closer for that door, not my fault i had to go home,

Nice one....tax payers money paying you to fit the wrong door closer, and then go home without fitting it.

Was that door closer to keep berty in or out.

sabre

You just made my day!! I hung six new internal doors last month..took me approx. 2 hrs per door, cut out lock grooves, hinge seats,receivers etc.Going by that quote I`ve saved approx.€1500!!!!!!!!!!
Jeez I`m changin` trades if that`s what chippies get for a resonably simple DIY job!

Well I obviously have and of course I've all my internal doors done. He was even able to supply me with doors that retail at €1200 for a tenth of the price ( The Malaysia cost he calls it ). He's been hanging doors for many years now in peoples houses and can throw them up in no time at all.

I've also seen him fit out a complete frame, door, locks, hinges etc in a corridor which was wider than the door in less than an hour. He makes his wages per door so it's in his interest to do as many as quickly as possible in a day and never to have to go back to sort them out.

sorry for hiking the thread but i think this sounds a reasonable price for a builder to charge, if you take into account he,s in charge of that piece of furniture till the day you move back in to your new house!!

Just to clarify €250 was not to hang a door its for installing a frame and hanging door and painting it. I think €250 is ok for what is involved.

Regarding simple DIY jobs I get a lot of calls from housewives who want me to fix the so called simple DIY (Destroy It Yourself) jobs their ever enthusiastic husbands have perpetrated on their homes.

Can I just say thanks for the input - I see from the advice of The Chippie and S.L.F. that we are not being robbed for the job being done - ie., new doorframe fitted, and so on and so on. As chippie said - four different procedures are being carried out.

However - I will ask if it is possible just to hang the new doors into the existing doorframes.... we are over-budget and somethin's gotta give.

As for the city and guilds stuff, for the ignoramus like me, it is something to go on, no more, no less.

thanks again everyone

(Ps - thanks to the posters who put all wise to Hardys of Kilkeel!)

However - I will ask if it is possible just to hang the new doors into the existing doorframes.... we are over-budget and somethin's gotta give

Thats the easiest, cheapest option. I used to fit them for a main nationwide suppliers. Each old door removed, new one in +architrave and saddle fitted, done and dusted each door less than 2 hours.

sabre

Thank you Sabre. I will pursue this line of enquiry.

Next, the flooring questions will start........ oh god.