Does this seem €€€ to hang normal internal door??

PinotNoir

Hi All

as you can tell from the frequent questions - dh and I are in the throes of pre-renovation... build starts soon so hopefully you will have some peace again

We were quoted 250€ per internal door by our builder for the

"hanging of door and decoration" (does this mean wooden bit around the door? I guess so..)

This does not include the cost of the actual door or door furniture. Does this seem very expensive to you? I am a ignorant of these matters, but it does seem v expensive to me...

TIA as always!!

I think you need to find a different builder before the one you have leaves you Bankrupt. Those prices are crazy and there is a shortage of work at the moment.

Ask him how many doors he can hang in a day, then ask yourself does he deserve to get payed X money for a days work???

As posted above.... crazy price. Aprox €120 per door for a qualified carpenter (but would'nt include painting) just hinging and fitting lock and door saddle is around the norm.

Just spoke to the builder: he says

200EU is the going rate (good rate) for labour for a carpenter to put in a new frame, a new architrave, and to paint.

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

(this charge does not include cost of door or door furniture)

Thanks again!

That seems extortionate. I recently bought new doors and I think it was an extra 80 euro per door (or in that region) for the supply and fit.

That is extortion. I've a relation who has been full time fitting doors for many years and I can tell you that you are being totally ripped off by multiples.

Don't be guided by price alone. It's one of the more difficult tasks to get right as you need both precision and skill. You don't get a chance to correct a door that's been cut marginally too short.

Does this apply when they are only hanging the door?

Does this include for the lock and hinges to be cut out etc or is this already done. Last year I was quoted 180 (previous post) and was told that this was very expensive.. ended up getting someone else to do part of it for a lot less.

Have you other options ie other potential suppliers...

Does this apply when they are only hanging the door?

As I found out when I was in your position (housebuilding is an education!), there's no such thing as "only hanging a door". This assumes that all standard door will fit your frame "precisely". In reality, all such door have to be pared to take account of any slight variations in the frame size. It's actually quite difficult to do precisely.

In my case, I noticed one of the doors had a bad scratch and suggested it could be put in the attic instead where it wouldn't be seen. The builder said it wouldn't fit and replaced it at his own expense instead.

Does this include for the lock and hinges to be cut out etc or is this already done. Last year I was quoted 180 (previous post) and was told that this was very expensive.. ended up getting someone else to do part of it for a lot less.

"Part of it for a lot less?" Did he just hang it on one hinge?

That is extortion. I've a relation who has been full time fitting doors for many years and I can tell you that you are being totally ripped off by multiples.
I've yet to meet a man who is a full time door fitter. So he's got to be fast. OK. How long would it take him to cut and plane the door to size, cut out six hinge recesses, cut out for and fit door lock and handles and leave everything in good working order? Remember the existing door liner may be off plumb, the head or floor may be running off, the doorstops may need readjusting or it may be awkward to fit the lock to match. Now if you're relation is full time fitting doors in a furniture factory, that's a whole different ball game.

Ok this evening I was looking in the local paper, saw an ad for carpenter, called him up and ran the question by him. He said 150 to 200 per door, supplying frame, architrave, fitting (hanging), lock business and so on. No painting (my guy had included painting).
so they dont' seem that off then at 200 moneywise...right???

If you are only having one door fitted and depending on your location, then he is allowed for traveling time and costs etc. However if there are a number of doors to be fitted and a pile of other works to be done at the same time, then at 250 per door, you are been ripped off.

Have another carpenter coming by to quote for doors and floors.

Do you guys think blokes give women the runaround for these quotes (am a member of the oppostion).

Am feeling kinda fed up that the second lot of people quoted the same as our builders, so this suggests that is the case.

Both of these sets of guys (builders and local carpenters on phone today), are accredited city and guilds mastercraftsmen, and whilst I am happy to pay fairly for a good job which is well done, I'm not at all ok at somebody having a laugh at my expense.

Who would have thought replacing some doors would bring such head/heart ache. Can any one recommend someone to me? North Kildare/Maynooth area?

Thanks a mill...

Last edited:
i take it is a new doorframe and door being put in and painted aswell , if so it is a fair price .
1. doorframe to be made and hung plum and level (1st fix )
2. door fitted ,lock and hinges , doorstops and ark fitted
3. door sanded ,primed , undercoated and glossed
4. door handles fitted
thats four times the door is worked on .
some poeple have not read your post right, they seem to think this guy is hanging the door to a old frame .
i think it is a fair price for whats being done .

Both of these sets of guys (builders and local carpenters on phone today), are accredited city and guilds mastercraftsmen, and whilst I am happy to pay fairly for a good job which is well done,

Just for the record , thats absolutely no guarantee of getting a good job done. There is no requirement of reaching a certain standard to gain membership of city and guilds of mastercraftsmen to my knowledge. Any one can pay their money , and join the body, as far as I know that was the case, unless its changed recently. I,d be interested to know the accreditation sytem in use, as I dont believe there is one that can guarantee reaching a high enough standard. The only guarantee is inspection of prev ious work done.

sabre

so where do we pay then?