Does the development address as stated on a planning application have to be accurate?

Mel

Does the development address as stated on a planning application have to be accurate?

I've seen some applications go in from my area, which were submitted using the wrong address -- townland correct but a town name substituted for the correct village address.

The townlands in question are well within the village boundaries, not even bordering the name of the town used.

I found the applications because i had heard on the grapevine about them and searched by name and not location.

Is this a deliberate attempt to make the applicaiton difficult to find and is it allowed?

Re: Stated Development Address

I guess it's the townland that's the most important thing. A friend of mine had his application returned to him because the council said the townland was wrong - ie he had the townland name - But the council said it should be the townland name with " Upper" after it.

The townland name must be stated on the application forms and the public notices (newspaper and site) - there is no way round it. The name of the local village or town may be used as the second line of the subject property/site address.

A lot of people dont realise where the townland boundaries are and sometimes a particular townland can be given a local name but for planning purposes the tonland name as it appears on an OS map must be stated

Yes, the townland stated is correct, but the village name has been omitted and replaced with the next big town, which people do occasionally add to their address but after the village name.
None of my business I guess, I just wondered if it was above board.
I'm also getting fed up of developers getting free leave to build as many houses as they like around our lovely village, while people who genuinely want a home are put through the mill to get permission. The person concerned with this application already has 4 houses, 3 of them in a 2 mile radius of each other - go figure.

At home yaers ago we were always told to write the townland, followed by the local village followed by the larger town. I imagine most people in rural areas used this method when writing an address.

With the demise of rural and village post offices it now has evolved to stating your townland and the nearest town with a post office. The village address has all but gone.

Yes, this is what we would still do - there is a post office still in our village. Most people around don't even use the town name, it's not necessary.