Does my Daughter Qualify for a British Passport?

JohnJoe

My wife was born in England and holds a British passport.
My 3 month old daughter does not hold a passport and we are planning to travel to Scotland in 4 weeks time. We have just applied for an Irish passport for my daughter but it may not arrive in time.
Does my daughter qualify to hold a british passport seen that her mother is a british citizen? (living in Ireland now for the past 20 years)
I checked the british embassy website and its not clear whether my daughter does qualify.

I assume you are flying Ryanair then?

Because if you are not, you won't need a passport.

British Embassy passports have a turnaround of about 10 working days. They are quite expensive though.

JohnJoe, if the tickets you got from Ryanair were cheapies, maybe you could just dump them and take the ferry from Larne to Stranraer ? or re-book with a different airline ? as it would appear from Caveat's post that you would not need a passport for the baby ?

No my daughter's birth was not registered with the british embassy - will this cause a problem?
No, but as part of the application process it will have to be done (As far as I know it's just a matter of supplying her long birth cert, [as well as her mother's] which you would have to do anyway for a passport).

Your best bet would be to contact them
29 Merrion Road
Ballsbridge
Dublin 4
Main Switchboard (353) (1) 205 3700

They will be able to tell you what documents you require & how to proceed.

My daughter in law is 6th generation S.African; each of the generations born in SA before her had their births registered with the appropriate embassy and consequently they all had British or Irish passports in addition to the S. African ones. Most people in what was the Empire did the same.

A European passport in Africa is a very valuable document when things go pear-shaped, as, for example, in Zimbabwe.

It's not necessary to register a child's birth with the British Embassy. Mine were born in Africa, never registered at UK Embassy, and all have British passports.