does marble stain?

poppy1

i saw a fab cream marble table in instore which i would love to buy for our new house but i was wondering if red wine spilt on it would it stain? thanks

You have to reapply sealant regularly (about once a year) to prevent marble staining very readily. If you do, it'll be more stain resistant but I wouldn't risk pouring puddles of red wine and leaving overnight.

What, after a tiff with your partner or something?
No - whatever about me, the OH is very even tempered! I was more thinking of random stress-testing for the hell of it, or the detritus after a lengthy and boozy dinner party - the sort of thing I'm too inclined to leave as the following day's problem!

Liteweight, I don't use sealant since I don't have marble (or even, sometimes, marbles) - I was passing on the advice of the kitchen showroom we're probably getting our new kitchen from (the novelty of cooking on a two ring hob wears off very quickly), and random things I've found online when researching. A decent hardware store is probably your best bet, though it's advised you use the same sealing product again if you're able to find out what it is.

Thanks Dreamerb. I've asked everwhere I can think of. I suppose I should dig out the same stuff as was originally used by the owner, but as the fireplace is 100 years old...I'd have to literally 'dig them out'!

[...] but as the fireplace is 100 years old...I'd have to literally 'dig them out'!

Fireplace, then? I'm not sure you'd be able to use the same sealant as for standard surfaces which don't go through as much stress with heating and cooling. A little light googling might help...

Fireplace, then? I'm not sure you'd be able to use the same sealant as for standard surfaces which don't go through as much stress with heating and cooling. A little light googling might help...

The marble doesn't get hot. I've googled and I've gone into antique shops. The latter don't seem willing to give info for free but can recommend people to do it for me.

hi i have marble floors in my bathroom and i went down to my local paint supplier and they were able to give me good advice and the right product for the job, otherwise you could try your local fireplace supplier, .

I presume it's not advisable to paint these sealants onto polished marble (whether "real" or manufactured) fireplace surrounds?

Any tile shop and most builders providers and DIY shops will sell sealant. would be one of the leading brands available here.
Leo

The dublin tile centre on Thomas street is great for advice on all things to do with tiles. If you want info on marble firelpaces suggest you either deal with a seller of these or better still contact a suppler of stone-say O'Neills in Dublin 18. No connection with either but have bought form both.