Does insurance cover a temp car for service period?

ButtermilkJa

Does anyone know if insurance policies (in general) cover the cost of a replacement car while your own is being serviced?

Last time I went to a main dealer I was quoted €80 per day to hire a replacement car. A friend of mine reckons all insurance policies cover this, but I can't find any info either on my Insurer's website or in my policy booklet.

It's a commercial 4x4 so I'm thinking Van Insurance policies may have this factored in?

Do you mean the insurance on the replacement car or the actual cost of the car?

If it's just the insurance, you just call them & do a temporary transfer.

If its the cost of the car - I've never heard of this being covered by an insurance company. But most garages will give you a replacement car if you give enough notice (I've never been carged for this). Maybe call a few garages before you go back to your normal garage.

Yes, it was actually the cost of the replacement car I was querying. I suppose it would be too much to ask for the insurance co.

Perhaps if I give enough notice they will have a car handy they can lend out.

Thanks!

AFAIK you can only transfer your commercial insurance onto another commercially registered vehicle ie not a loan car which is probably why you were charged €80

Insurance policies will not cover the cost of a replacement vehicle while yours is being serviced.

They may cover the cost of a hire vehicle if yours is off the road due to accident damage / repairs to same.

Your friend needs to publish whrre he gets his insurance from as we are all agog at the largesse being displayed by his insurers.

Your 4x4 commercial / van insurance policy probably does not have this have this factored in, hence the lack of any reference to it in your documentation.

If you want a clause like this in your insurance try the following link [broken link removed]